Tuesday, March 23, 2010

...unless something changes ...


"What is more important in a library than anything else - than everything else - is the fact that it exists."  ~Archibald MacLeish


The news in our fair city that half of our public libraries are closing is disturbing. I feel like I am in mourning. Not that I am at the libraries that much right now, but there is a security in knowing they are there. We are spoiled with many libraries in our system, so if we can't find the book in one spot, we can either request it be sent, or drive to another library to obtain it. 


I decided to look up some quotes on libraries and there are plenty:

"The best of my education has come from the public library... my tuition fee is a bus fare and once in a while, five cents a day for an overdue book.  You don't need to know very much to start with, if you know the way to the public library. " ~Lesley Conger

"We may sit in our library and yet be in all quarters of the earth."  ~John Lubbock

"To those with ears to hear, libraries are really very noisy places.  On their shelves we hear the captured voices of the centuries-old conversation that makes up our civilization."  ~Timothy Healy



And now, 140 library employees are getting their pink slips. Of course there is an uprising among the ranks of those who value libraries, so it is said there will be a phrase added at the end of the letters:  "...unless something changes..."


That's  a tiny point of hope. But I sent a sympathy card to my friend who uses the library very, very often, and today she saw evidence of it happening.



Photo: not a library but a bank my grandfather built many years ago. It looks a little like our neighborhood library. Bookshelves are my parents' library, not the public one. 

7 comments:

  1. I find it quite disconcerting that in this day and age, so much emphasis is placed on celebrity and sports while our schools and libraries are diminishing and no one places value on learning, education, reading. We pay folks to act and play, but we don't pay well those who are influencing the generations up and coming. If a child doesn't have a gadget in his hands these days, he is considered a loser. Maybe I am old fashioned, but something just doesn't seem right! Wishing you a beautiful day! :) Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look at libraries as I do, and I'm in mourning with you and Bonnie as well. I told her that several of ours were scheduled for closing awhile back (a funding ploy by our *then* mayor who was corrupt as corrupt can be) and many emails and phone calls from folks to our City Council reversed the decision.

    We still have to stay on our toes, however.

    Sadly our libraries here have turned into Internet junkie headquarters, and now a library card is required to use the computers for the Internet for any extended period of time. The majority of folks I see pass through our library doors aren't checking out books, but getting online.

    A pitiful state of affairs.

    Hugs to you, sweet friend. I really am sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read your post. I am currently president of the board of trustees at our local library. We are in the midst of securing property for a much-needed new library. Part of our present building was erected in 1906 (a Carnegie "gift to our city). It was added onto in 1976.

    Todays libraries are much more than books. They do provide internet access. There are a number of library users who cannot afford the internet at home nor even computers. If a library receives federal funds (and most of them do receive some) they cannot require library cards to use their computers thus giving travelers access. Also with the federal funding comes the requirement for filters on computers to prohibit certain access. In addition to computers, libraries today offer classes, book groups, meeting rooms and even electronic devices such as the Kindle for card holders. Some provide help in writing resumes, filling out job applications, etc. When times are financially hard, people turn to their libraries.

    All this said, I miss the old card catalogs!!!! And, I wonder if I'll ever want to "read" a book by a device rather than the printed page. And I'm distressed to hear about your library closings.

    By the way, we've been working on securing property and getting the funding for a new library for over eight years now!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so upset about the libraries closing. I use Independence and Morrison all the time and they are both closing! I hope something will happen that will change their decision. It's not right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. they may keep some open.
    check the news tomorrow.
    at least until June.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I hate to see libraries close! I still value books so much, though I know the world is changing.
    I've just been catching up-your last few blogs have the prettiest pictures!
    Take care!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE books! I have downloaded a couple of books onto my computer, and even though it is small, I can't read in bed in quite the same way although I have done it! The smell of books can never be duplicated by a computer either. As always, love seeing the bank picture. What wonderful memories it brings back.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...