Tuesday, March 30, 2010

a mere three hundred years




On our way back from my sister's house, further south, we stopped outside Savannah for the night. Even a quick trip into the old city stirs our souls as we sink into some rich history for an hour or two.


We always love a walk on the old cobblestone streets along the river front. Three hundred years ago it was a busy seaport in the New World. I could imagine how women would wait for the ships to come in, hoping they'd be carrying treasures of tea, spices, and household goods from their homeland ... 

... maybe rushing down to the port just to see all the action of the ship arriving.


There aren't many places we find in our "new" country where buildings are so old. 


It was a perfect spring evening. We enjoyed even our brief visit, remembering times we'd been there in the past ... a bit of our own history joined together with Savannah's.

13 comments:

  1. Lovely. I'm going to Savannah and Charleston at the end of April.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Podso,
    I am happy to say my husband and I will soon be walking those streets as well as Charleston's!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:29 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks lovely. I would love to visit and experience it first hand.

    Cheers!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking me with you. I've never gone there...Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for taking us along...that me be the closest I ever get to Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Savannah and Charleston. And first, I loved Williamsburg. I think I was meant to live in the past!! We had the good fortune to live in Charleston for almost a decade.

    Thank you for thinking of the little girls.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Savannah! I've been on that very brick-laid street, but it's been a few years back. Would love to go again. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:40 AM

    Lovely post - I've never visited the South. Ahhhhh, so many dreams, so little time.
    Thanks for bringing us along! :)
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh... jealous! I've always wanted to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh such beauty and such history! all of your posts are sweet...the little shoes...the library...and your nurses uniform...truly makes it seem like another time, doesn't it? My first was a tad more *modern* but still so different from today:)
    Resurrection Day blessings to you...
    Rene'

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love Savannah! I remember the Riverwalk well although its been ages since I was last there. We went to Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House for a family style lunch and she signed one of her cookbooks for me. Was such a fun time. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful city. Easter blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post. Thanks for sharing Savannah with us.

    The post with the little shoes was beautiful.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...