Tuesday, March 02, 2010

the table was laid for tea

"There did not seem to be a straight line anywhere, and yet the old place gave no impression of decay. On the contrary, it looked immensely strong as a fortress.... None of them seemed able to move. The beauty of this place had laid a spell on them. It seemed too good to be true. They were afraid that if they moved it would all vanish...."

"There was a wide fireplace with a fire burning in it and a kettle singing on the hearth, and two wide windows, one looking south towards the river, and the other east onto the stable yard. The room was furnished with old furniture: a splendid oak table, a huge dresser with blue willow-patterned china upon it, a tallboy, high-backed rush-seated chairs, and a rocking chair. There were some fine pieces of Bristol ware upon the mantelpiece, flowered chintz curtains at the windows, strips of plain matting upon the floor, and pots of geraniums upon the window sills. The table was laid for tea with a blue-and-white-check tablecloth, willow-pattern china, a homemade cake, scones, and honey. The room was gracious, lived-in, warm, glowing, and altogether glorious....And extraordinarily familiar. Standing there in the sunlight and firelight, George and the children felt as thought they had come home. They looked at each other, but they could not speak."

From Pilgrim's Inn by (the queen of description) Elizabeth Goudge. I'm joining Rhondi's tea party Tuesday today because this is such good description, I'm transported right to this afternoon tea!

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:27 PM

    What a delightful post! I must get that book. It sounds intreging. Happy Tea Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That house puts me in mind of the house in that series as well. Thanks for the sweet word picture to think on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so there too:) Ah what writing style!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:14 PM

    Uplifting! I would love to join you for tea here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I was sitting in that chair right now..thanks for saying hi today. Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is up in Blowing Rock.
    wonderful quotes!
    It makes me want to reread the book.
    I don't have time right now....maybe time will mulitply like those fish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice quote. I must read that book, though it does sound familiar... Your photo is very lovely and summery! Oh, I love summer!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel so at home in your delightful post. You've nailed it perfectly. Home, tea...serenity. I must come back and visit you again. =)...(wonderful quotes!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always want to go and live in one of Elizabeth Goudge's books....you've awakened that hunger again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went to the library today and took 'out' 'Pilgrim's Inn' because of this beautiful post. Just thought I'd let you know.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...