Thursday, March 25, 2010

seeing forward



"To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child."  Marcus Tellius Cicero, 46 BC

 "The further backwards you look, the further forward you can see."   --Winston Churchill

Have I said I love history? It's all just fascinating to me. The older I get the more intrigued I am by our own family history. I wonder what will be left of our history with computer photos and "sound-bite" emails rather than, for example, long letters telling about life. The little boy sticking out the farthest on the left is my grandfather. His brother and sister are also in this group of school children, probably taken around the turn of the last century.

4 comments:

  1. I read recently that one of the most collectible items in the next quarter century will be handwritten letters.
    It's very special to me for someone to take time to pen a note or letter and I enjoy doing the same. Must admit that I want it all--email, a phone call and the letter.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:39 AM

    Wonderful photo!

    My son lives in Japan, and he emailed us one day years ago, mentioning these same thoughts. He asked us to write down "our stories". So I did. Stories about every relative I could think of, and of everyday events that stuck in my mind as monumental. Stories about gratitude, simplicity, tenacity, faith, kindness, love, and generosity. Of all the things that I could leave behind after I'm gone, I can't think of anything greater than the gift of family history.
    Your posts always inspire me. Thank you for yet another wonderful 'gift'!

    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Aunt Martha's scowl. Looks like she was a very determined little girl - don't think she ever lost it! I wonder if she bossed around her brothers??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a great photo. So great that you have it and know who is in the photo. I'm the "crypt keeper" as my family calls me when I drag out photo's similar to yours. But someone has to keep track of our history. Right?

    Enjoy yours and pass it on!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...