Saturday, March 13, 2010

podso

This month marks my fourth year of blogging. I started out so tentatively, very unsure of myself, and too timid to invite others to have a look. I now call blogging my hobby, as it combines two great loves of writing and photography. I also consider my blog a "room in my house" that needs tender loving care. Since this is my 725th post (where did I find that much to say?), I decided to re-publish my very first post, slightly modified. I also recently found this photo of me and my dad and sisters in our 1953 blue Ford. It was such a surprise to find it that my eyes filled with tears. It was like a visit with my dad. Looks like I was missing my two front teeth. :-)



My father called me Podso. I never knew why. When I was a child I had this idea it was a Native American name. I don't remember ever wondering enough to ask him where the name came from, but I remember rather liking the idea that "Podso" was his special name just for me. He rarely called me that as an adult, and now the "why Podso" is included in a growing list of "I wish I had asked Daddy that...."

I guess as children we don't wonder about those kind of things like we do when we become older adults. The excitement of growing up, buying a home, having a career, raising kids suddenly slows down as you settle in life. Then time to think arrives and you wonder.....

My father very gradually lost his short term memory. When asked questions, he would give clever answers showing his great sense of humor. For example, the doctor would ask what day it was and Daddy would reply, "The day after yesterday, of course." His long term memory stayed pretty sharp, but his ability to speak full sentences gradually diminished, so that eventually we had guessing games when we asked him questions. His main reply towards the end of his life was a gaze intently into our eyes, telling us he had the answer, and most likely wishing so much he could share it. "Search deeply in my eyes and you'll get the answer."

The questions we ask unlock more about who we are. Or the why of who we are. As we grow older, albeit content to be who we've turned out to be, we still like to put puzzle pieces together.

Connecting with other Sunday reposts at  Chari's Happy to Design

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your memorable first post. I, like you, have been rather tentative in blogging. I started my blog sometime ago then abandoned it. I love meeting new "friends" and learning new things. I'm anxious to join "groups" but don't feel quite ready. I'm very interested in photography but am a novice although I've been taking photographs for years. Feel I'm ready to branch out in that area and perhaps purchasing something like Photoshop. In the meantime, I'll continue to "visit" and learn.

    Happy blogging anniversary.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:19 PM

    So beautifully written, and when I read your words and see the photos you share, I feel like we've been friends for a long time. :)
    My parents had a blue '54 Ford stationwagon - we went camping and four-wheeling in it until Dad finally bought a jeep.
    Congratulations on your 725th post, and your love for blogging. Yours is one of my favs.
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a wonderful blogger, quite prolific. I love reading your posts, especially those that mention your dad. I can just see him as you describe him in that last statement..."Search deeply..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same thing going on. Only my mother or father would know the answer to this! Great blog that made me think about what should be left for my children and their children, etc.. to know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photo and words attached to it. :) And, is that your mom taking the photo (her reflection) with one of those old brownies?

    You're a sweetie pie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would make a great name for "grandma". when the time comes..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy reading your blog-I think you have a special gift for writing!

    Enjoy your weekend,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your four years. It is amazing, is it not, how we do seem to find so much to say when maybe in "real" life we'd be silent as clams. I love your poignant photo and your words here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! 725 posts! I for one appreciate them so much. Do you remember, you were the one who got me into blogging?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Podso, excellent post! Love that old photo too. It's priceless to you, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a great post! Congratulations on your Blog anniversary too....that's an incredible amount of posting....since this is the first time I've been on your blog, I'll have to look around. I have a feeling I'll really enjoy myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know I didn't even see your father in the photo when I first looked.
    Then after reading your words on how he started to fade away I really felt that the picture is so perfect with the story. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful picture. It brings tears to my eyes just looking at it and seeing such joy. Podso is such a great name and knowing it was your dads special name for you makes it that much more wonderful. Congratulations on you 725th post and I'm so glad that you have so much to say and share.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Ms.P...

    My friend, I loved reading this post about you and your father! It was so sweet and endearing! It must have been very difficult for your father toward the end of his life but I have a feeling that his love for his family...and his family's love for him...seen him through the difficulties ever so sweetly! Girlfriend, I have to tell you that everytime I see the photo of you as a child...I just stand in awe because it could be me! That's how I looked at that age! Hehe! I loved your photo...just seeing the smile on your Dad's face...you in his arms...and that smile on your face...well, it's just priceless!!! Thank you so much for sharing it with us today for Sunday Favorites!!!

    Have a super Sunday, Darlin'!
    Chari @Happy To Design

    PS...just have to tell you...that my husband and I are driving out for a car show in Las Vegas the first of April. We are taking my late father-in-law's 1953 Ford! I'll have to show Russell your photo! Sooo awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ms.P...

    It's just lil' ol' me again! Hehe!

    Girl, my short term memory isn't very good either! I was going down the list of my Sunday Favorites participants when I remembered that you were having a Blogging Anniversary...I really did mean to say something about that in my last comment! Hehe!

    Wow...4 years? Girlfriend, you've been at this for a long time! And...725 posts? Ohhh my goodness! Sending you my very best wishes for another year of blogging success and much blogging bliss, Ms.P! Congratulations, Darlin'!!! What a milestone!!!

    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  16. Podso, Thank you for sharing this sweet post about your Dad. It seems to be a good day for memory lane. I posted about my Grandma who's been gone since 1962. I feel like she just visited me. Congrats on your 725! That's quite an accomplishment.
    Have a great day!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very touching! My dad had a name for me too, I was the youngest of 4 girls..the poor man. He died at 50..I was a teen..
    And yes, so many things left unasked...but memories help, and we have to imagine the answers..

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so sweet...it is sweet that your Dad loved you enough to give you this name and that you have such good memories of him! And wow...you've stuck it out for 725 posts! I'm glad you did! I can tell-you love to write!
    Rene'

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like what we went through with Art, too. I will share this with my kids in order to prompt their own questions before it's too late. God give us grace to grow old!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...