Saturday, March 20, 2010

Blue and White Stripes

It was great to clean out the garage the other day. I was surprised to find my nursing school uniforms––I bet they were transferred from the attic to the garage on the way to the trash and I decided to hold on to them a little longer. But, yellowed with age, they really need to go now.


















     I unpacked them all, still stiff with starch from their last washing, the collars and bibs pristinely packed in the zippered laundry bag that brought them to and from the cleaners. I saw my name stamped on each piece.  Blue and white stripes. How proud we were of them! Yes we complained about the ten minutes it took to get into them (5 buttons at the cuff, studs and other complex contraptions to attach the collar, bib and apron, and the secret folded Kleenex clipped on to the back of our hair to hold our caps on.) Yes we'd complain, but I know we were proud. I think deep down we didn't mind the limp bustle in the back of the uniform, or wearing the so out-of-it mid-calf long skirt (unheard of in the late 60s/early 70s). I think we rather liked the white stockings and proper nursing shoes ... proud probably because of the rich 100-year history of our school, and for its reputation for producing quality nurses ... proud because we were making it through the rigorous academics.


The summer of our senior year we got to wear whites––after all we were team leading and working full time as nurses in our chosen area of leadership. And when graduation arrived we all decided to cut off those long uniforms and hem them knee-length for graduation. What could they say, anyway? We were at Columbia University in the late 60s--rebellion was a part of us.

And nothing was said about our little deviation as we marched out onto the lush green lawn tucked down among the tall Manhattan skyscrapers, wearing our student uniforms for the last time. There was a sense of freedom in the small adventure of our shortened skirts, signifying an awareness that we would soon be on our own to make our own nursing judgements and decisions. 

I decided to keep the best uniform, wash it, and put it away. After all, I have a granddaughter now. With both her mom and grandmother nurses, she may dream about Florence Nightengale herself someday!

Reposted from two years ago because I just got a letter from our alumni association in search of old uniforms, the "ones with the bustles." How I wish I had saved more of mine. See Chari's blog Happy to Design for more Sunday reposts.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:14 PM

    Wonderful post, and you should feel proud - then and now!!! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that. Save it for career day for your grandchildren.
    What a proud day..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realize that scrubs are practical, but there's something about the old-fashioned nurse's uniform. Love the hats too. :)

    How special for you to hold onto one. A great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the story of your uniform and at that time they were lucky you guys did not make them into mini skirts:) What a good thing to save one for future generations.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun find from your past!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you must keep it..I used to have a Biography Party with my 4th graders. So many of the girls came as Clara Barton or F. Nightengale. It will come in handy!
    You went to nursing school in NY?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great keepsake to hand down to your grand daughter. Such a shame that you didn't hang onto to them since the Alumni assoc called. We just never know what one day will become important to someone else. Have a great day! ;) Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. During High School, I was a candy striper for a while - - - we were volunteers either in the hospital, or my favorite place - the nursing home. Our uniforms looked nearly exactly like that, only our stripes were pink on white.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. Don't throw it out - there are ways to get the staining and yellowing out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ms.P...

    Ohhh...what memories your pretty nurse uniform brought back to me! Like Keetha, I was a candy stripe volunteer at the hospital in my young teens...our uniforms were very similar but with the pink and white stripes! You know, I don't know if they even have "Candy Stripe Volunteers" at the hospitals any more...do you? I'm sure that running across your nurse's uniform brought floods of memories back to you! BRAVO, my friend! What an accomplishment!!! I'm so proud for you! I just giggled when I read about hemming up the length for graduation! Hehe! Hmmm...the 60's was ripe for rebellion...wasn't it! Such a sweet post to share with us today for Sunday Favorites...thank you, my friend!!!

    Just wanted to let you know that I got your email and photo. Oooh...I do love that pattern of green transferware on the tea set. I haven't seen that pattern before! It was fun getting a peek at it! Ohhh...and those pretty glasses with the transferware pattern on them...I would love to have some of those! Thank you so much for sending that to my, sweet lady! I sure enjoyed the pretties!!!

    Have a super Sunday, Ms.P!
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  11. My grandmother was a nurse. She always wore a crisply starched white dress, well polished white shoes and a white hat. Although I'm sure nurses are much more comfortable in present day attire, it's hard to tell who's the nurse, LPN or aide. Oh, and I forgot the white stockings.

    Loved the nostalgic post.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...