Saturday, March 06, 2010

cutting oranges


"Do it lovingly--in perfect  quarters like little boats, or in staggered exfoliations like a flat map of a round world, or in one long spiral, as my grandfather used to do. Nothing is more likely to become garbage than an orange rind; but for as long as anyone looks at it in delight, it stands a million triumphant miles from the trash heap.





"That, you know, is why the world exists at all. It remains outside the cosmic garbage can of nothingness, not because it is such a solemn necessity that nobody can get rid of it, but because it is the orange peel hung on God's shoulders like a chandelier, the wishbone in His kitchen closet. He likes it; therefore it stays."



"[God] likes onions, therefore they are. The fit, the colors, the smell, the tensions, the tastes, the textures, the lines, the shapes are a response, not to some forgotten decree that there may as well be onions and turnips, but to His present delight––His intimate and immediate joy in all you have seen, and in the thousand other wonders you do not even suspect.

"... Man's real work is to look at the things of the world and to love them for what they are. That is, after all, what God does, and man was not made in God's image for nothing."


--from Robert Farrar Capon in  The Supper of the Lamb. I'm combining two posts from two years ago this month when our book club had a wonderful supper of lamb together as we discussed this delightful book. Incidentally I orginally called the first part "How to Cut an Orange" and got hits on my blog from all over the world. Apparently many people don't know how to cut an orange and googled directions. :-)  Connecting with other re-posts at Chari's Happy to Design.

9 comments:

  1. Lovely post, and delicious pictures.
    Happy Weekend! Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing that you got so amny hits with that title! Wasn't today beautiful? We got quite a bit done in the yard today.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this post. The pictures of the oranges are just so amazing! You can smell the oranges just from those pictures! So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm, that orange looks so good I think I'm going to go have one. I loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post. Beautiful pictures and sentiments and put together wondrously.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you just LOVE eating an orange after it's been cut that way?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Ms.P...

    Oooh...so citrusy sweet!!! My friend, your photos are gorgeous! I do believe that my mouth started watering the second I laid eyes on that beautifully cut orange! Mmmm...I can almost smell it! I love the scent of oranges...I think that all of my soaps and cleaning supplies are orange scented...it's just such a fresh and pleasurable scent!!! I loved all of your spiritual references too! I love, love, LOVE the statement you made about...man's real work is to look at the things that the Lord has created and love them for what they are!!! Sooo very true and it sure makes life easier once we can get that concept through our little human brains...hehe! We spend alot of time trying to change things and people...and it's not our job! Hehe! What a sweet post, my friend...thank you so much for sharing it with us for Sunday Favorites today...I really enjoyed it!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mother used to slice the rind in a spiral and then cut the orange in small segments into a bowl for us to eat with a spoon. So yummy! It became one of my daughters' favorite way to eat an orange as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you ever cut a hole in an orange and put a straw in it for the kids? My little granddaughter claims it tastes just like real orange juice!!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...