Thursday, March 04, 2010

doctored soup du jour

Some of you now associate me with soup. So here's an example of a "doctored" soup we had the other day. It was so delicious, I just fear I won't remember it so I'm writing it down. Right here.

I started with a can of soup pictured below. I know it's a pricey brand, but it was on sale. Notice that new addition to the label: no msg added. That's impressive.

I started to warm it while I added some left over angel hair (chopped into small pieces). Then in went 1/2 can of black beans (rinsed, please). Next I added about 1/2-2/3 cup low fat small curd cottage cheese (always good to have on hand and I was glad I did for this.) Then in the pot went a little left over hummus! Just a tablespoon or two. Really. That was totally just a "clean out the frig moment," but it didn't hurt the taste a bit and added some protein. I had a little bit of feta cheese found in the frig. That went in towards the end as well as 1/2 cup of wine (red preferred for tomato soup, but only had white cooking wine.) That bit of wine just adds a nice touch to any soup one is making. It ended up being a bit of a thick soup, which the Gardener always loves. Guess that's a man for you.

We love Italian food, so that might be why we thought this was soooo delicious. Maybe I'll remember to check my blog for this recipe next time.

Connecting to Foodie Friday today!

13 comments:

  1. I can't believe I haven't been a follower all this time... well, I corrected that! And this soup sounds so yummy. Why didn't I think of adding all these great things to a can of soup? I'll definitely try this one!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a perfect Sunday supper to me. Great recipe-thanks for sharing it.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Podso Dear, This sounds really! good to me. I've eaten 3 salads today, and even though it is late I'm dreaming of making soup. I'd better do that over the weekend, Liquid salad! I've been sprouting sunflower seeds and eating them they are a delicious addition to salads! Have a yummy weekend! Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the same sort of thing you do...use soup that is handy for a base and put in celery and black beans etc. It always turns out delish...and makes a lot. Your soup sounds good..=)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you cook...so my style. Have I mentioned that I love to make soup too...and I never remember the next time exactly what I did ... and I am Italian and love the food!

    Soooo I for one want to hear all about your soups :))))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds wonderful. I have to write the recipe down or I can never make the same thing again.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never thought of putting cottage cheese or feta cheese in soup! I made a soup the other day that was absolutely delicious. I started with boiling the chicken carcass from the roast chicken we had on Sunday and then just threw in all the left-overs....potatoes, cabbage, a meat sauce. It was delicious, but was one of those once-only kind of soups.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love shortcuts more and more. This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:27 AM

    I will try this - Hubby won't eat soup unless it's thick!!! :)
    Thanks! I hope you enjoy your weekend!
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love tinkering with store-bought food. Your soup sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love soups like that you can just dump things and you know when to stop, simple and rich warm to the soul...well have a good day

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! A one of a kind "refrigerator surprise" soup!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a girl after your own heart! Thanks for the cottage cheese tip. I love doctored soups. Just wish my kids who have grown up in hot Florida could appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...