Thursday, March 18, 2010

...like a flower...

"I think thankfulness is like a flower. It needs care and cherishing if it is to live and grow. Perhaps thankfulness, even more than some other qualities that seem to come naturally to us, is in real need of cherishing, because of the withering winds of life. The best way to cause it to grow in our hearts is to be careful never to let ourselves be unthankful. Has anyone ever done something to help me and I have said nothing about it? (It is not enough to thank God; we should thank the one to whom He gave the loving thought that caused the loving deed.) ...

If we have been careless about this, let us put it right. I often think we must disappoint our kind Father by not noticing the little things (as well as countless great things) that He does to give us pleasure. ... So, let us cherish thankfulness."

Amy Carmichael in Thou Givest ... They Gather.
See Rhondi's blog for more thankfulness.

6 comments:

  1. And I am thankful for this message and for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING ME.
    I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful thought on cultivating thankfulness. Thank you for sharing Amy in such a lovely timely way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live southeast of Chicago--in Indiana. If the traffic is with me, I can be in the loop in 45 minutes. We do most of our shopping in Chicago--North Ave. area. Also do a lot of theater, dining, etc. in the city. I have a good friend in Wilmette and go up several times a month and from there into Highland Park. What part of Chicago are you from? I was born and raised in the southeast but have been here in the midwest almost twenty years.

    Very nice blog today on thankfulness--something I need to be less careless about!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Podso, Just what I needed to hear this week. Of coarse the analogy of cherishing thankfulness like cherishing a tender flower is something I can really relate too :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. How long since you've been to Highland Park? It's wonderful! Just like the downtown area where I grew up in Virginia. The Anthropologie is amazing and huge with soaring ceilings and wide planked wood floors that look as if they've been there for centuries. Nearby is Restoration Hardware (alas the Smith and Hawken next door has, as all of them, ceased to exist).
    Just across the street is a large Williams-Sonoma and within walking distance, a really nice Paper Source. I always wish my pockets were deeper when I go!! Today, I did the reasonable thing and went to T.J. Maxx!!

    My husband would like to retire to the North Ave. area in a few years. Personally, I think people move away from Chicago when they retire and I'm hoping to head south where there's no snow--well, most of the time. This year my hometown had three times as much snow as we did.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...