Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Wheat Thicks

You so don't know what influence you have on people, do you? Good or bad. Or how those from the past remember you. For instance, just learned a little boy used to use my crocheted blanket (that I made for his sister when she arrived), to sleep with every night (big impact there, "tongue-in-cheek," but, you know, lots of comfort for sure.) Then I got an email or FB note from a very old friend (not in age but in years of friendship) asking me for the recipe for "wheat thicks." Wow, that goes back a long way. Her kids (now the age we were when we lived near each other) "love them." Did I know she ever even made the recipe? Another great influence, (tongue-in-cheek.) But it does go to show that you never know who you are influencing, and in what way!

Back then I was "o-natur-ale"--anything that could be made from scratch, I made it. Granola, bread, cottage cheese, mushrooms (well, not really, but a look alike out of eggplant), potato chips, clothes, gifts, and yes, crackers--I seemed to get a kick out of it (and it was thrifty). Of course some of this earthy stuff I had no choice about when we lived in Africa.

I was all excited about making "wheat thins," a favorite cracker of mine. But I never could get them quite evenly thin enough to bake evenly, some parts getting darker than others. But they were just fine "thick." So, for those who also may be interested, I now present to Linda and her girls:

Wheat Thicks

Blend 2 Cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 Cup sesame seeds or whatever you like
1/4 Cup wheat germ
1/4 Cup veg oil
3/4 Cup cold water

Spread dough on two cookie sheets using rolling pins or fists, keeping even thickness (there's the rub!). Mark into squares and prick with fork. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool and store in airtight containers. Good with cheese and if you love salt, I suppose you could salt with some kosher salt just as it comes out of oven. Store in airtight container. I do not think you grease the cookie sheet. But I'm not totally sure!

3 comments:

  1. You crack me up (forgive the pun!), but a laugh was a sweet gift this morning. Thanks!

    And for the recipe...will make a note of that too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us know how they turn out!
    I love crackers!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia grace1:45 PM

    That one is a keeper...and healthy in the mix...thanks

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...