Thursday, July 02, 2009

beans and rice

I figured our beans and rice dinner last night cost us about a dollar each. Not bad. When we were discussing earlier this week further ways to cut our budget, the Gardener suggested more beans and rice meals. The one we had last night was so delicious I thought I'd write it down. So often when I "throw something together" and it's really good, I forget about it, or forget how I did it. We'd like to repeat this one often.

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil
Add one can of drained black beans
Add one can of minced/chopped tomatoes with juice
I added some scant salt and a small bit of chicken bouillon powder

Shake about a Tb of flour across the top, let it start to absorb and then stir in to thicken
Add dollops of frozen chopped spinach (best from a bag, not a "block")

Let cook awhile and then serve over brown rice.

Note to Youngest: This reminded us a lot of Kontomery Stew, your favorite food growing up. It just was missing palm oil and the mackerel. Photo: Youngest about age one thoroughly enjoying this stew. And he probably had rosy cheeks for awhile, as palm oil, used so much in West Africa, does stain!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:16 AM

    Thats funny, we had brown rice and beans last night too :) Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small world indeed. Black beans and rice here last night too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small world indeed.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...