Friday, July 10, 2009

66

I'm thinking of my mom today, and how she is remembering that summer day, 66 years ago, on the front lawn of her childhood home ... The story is that later that day they went on their honeymoon by train down to the Jersey shore. The train was full, or they had cheap tickets ... but for some reason they sat on their suitcase in the vestibule between the cars. Someone came along and asked if they were brother and sister. Of course my dad answered, "Oh yes, brother and sister in Christ." Their last anniversary together, #62, was celebrated in my dad's hospice room with huge windows looking out at the clouds that seemed particularly beautiful that day as heaven beckoned him. We bought them a big bouquet of flowers. Six days later he made his way to heaven's gates. Love overflowed and peace reigned in our hearts.

1 comment:

  1. I read this the other day and thought of you all.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...