Thursday, July 16, 2009

a better place

Four years ago today my dad left this earth for a better place. I often think about what the transition must have been like. My guess is it was pretty quick, and pretty spectacular. I'll know myself someday, but in the meantime, it's pleasant to think on. I love this photo of 5/6 of our family (baby brother yet to appear). I can see the house my dad so lovingly built for us, and his favored cello in the corner. It now sits in the corner of my mother's bedroom. The dining room chair is at my sister's house, and the candlesticks on the mantle are at mine. A dvd arrived in the mail this week with some vintage film on it. As I watch I see glimpses of my parents, and one scene in particular took my breath away. I was a toddler, probably just starting to walk, and my dad grabbed me up to give me a hug and a kiss. Film never before seen by us, so almost like a little surprise visit with him. Something for me to tuck away into my heart. How I miss him.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:50 AM

    I feel your heart! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that sentence about taking your breath away. May God bring you breezes today full of comfort!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia grace4:13 PM

    What a wonderful gift you have been given thru this DVD and a glimpse of yesterday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so wonderful. I love looking up at the sky and the clouds and think of our loved ones. Some golden daybreak!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has got to be one of the sweetest posts ever...What a precious gift to receive...the heart of a daddy. You are blessed.
    Rene'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the link to this post at the bottom of today's post. Your father and mother look so familiar to me.

    My husbands parents were missionaries with New Tribes Mission. Before Tim's mom joined the mission she worked for Leighton Ford.

    I know you said your father was good friends with George Beverly Shay, so I didn't know if some how Tim's mother knew your parents.

    Sweet post.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...