Saturday, July 18, 2009

Rocking Chair Grace Again

We roll down the windows and let a fresh breeze spill in as our car chugs up the winding roads into the mountains. The crisp clear air begs for us to breathe deeply as if to cleanse away the city pollution from our lungs. It’s time for lunch but we have yet to find a nook alongside the road to eat our sandwiches. I breathe a prayer, “Lord, help us to find a really special spot for our lunch.” After all, we had opted to go the cheap route, and not look for a cute little teashop along the road. Don’t we deserve a picnic to remember?

In less than a minute a road sign announces a rest/visitor center just up ahead. Wow, a quick answer. As we drive into a pristine park-like setting, we notice that all the shady picnic tables are of course occupied. We ride around the mountain-style building, boasting a porch on all sides. There on the back porch are two rocking chairs, quietly waiting for us, as if we’d booked ahead with reservations! We park nearby and sit down to rock our way through a simple lunch. Much too simple for the beauty we look out on. We are completely alone with a sea of day lilies, backed by a lawn as green as grass can be. One majestic mountain after another rises in the distance like waves billowing on the sea. A soft breeze blows as we rock and munch sandwiches and carrot sticks. And I ponder the quick answer to my silent prayer. Several people interrupt the quiet as they come out of a nearby door and with an “I-wish-I-had-thought-to-eat-lunch-here” inflection to their voices, congratulate us on our creative use of the rockers.

I wonder about this dining spot prepared for us. If I hadn’t prayed, would we still have seen the road sign and found the rockers? Was it a “God-thing” or just a coincidence? As I thank Him profusely from my heart, I assume it is of God, but why?

The answer comes from history. From experience I know God ordains my days, and has as long as I’ve known Him. Recorded history tells the rest of the story. Everything in life––even “coincidences”––works because of Him. And if that wasn’t true, and there was such a thing as “just happened,” I would still delight to give Him the glory for it. For us this day––amazing rocking chair grace!

Seek to cultivate a buoyant, joyous sense of the crowded kindness of God in your daily life. A. Maclaren

First published in July 06. Please see Happy to Design for other repeat goodies.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely post. I can feel the breeze sitting on those rockers. Thanks for sharing. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my friend...

    I must apologize at being so late to get over to see your Sunday Favorites post...it was a busy day for me yesterday! I'm so happy to have you join in with Sunday Favorites...welcome!!!

    What a lovely post to reshare...I could just feel the peace and serenity of your special picnic spot come through your words!!! It must have been a lovely day!!! Ohhh yes...I certainly believe it was a "God thing"...I know that when we honor him...He gives us the desires of our hearts!!! Even the smallest of desires!!! I totally agree with what you said...I don't believe in coincidences...as a child of the Most High God...my pathway is ordained and purposed by Him!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful day with us...I sure hope that you'll join in with Sunday Favorites again...it was so very nice to meet you, my friend!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari
    PS...I only live a couple of hours from the Rocky Mtn. of Colorado...I love those drives through God's country!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't God's provision amazing?!!
    Rene'

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful story of God's goodness toward you. I like the quote too.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...