Thursday, July 23, 2009

from porch to porch

"On warm evenings we would sit out on the front porch from supper to bedtime. There was no TV then, of course, and on weeknights little traffic on the road. It would be so quiet that you could hear other people talking on their front porches or a bunch of children playing elsewhere. Besides the night sounds of birds and insects, there would be just the human voices. Sometimes there would be conversation from porch to porch and back and forth across the road."

from Wendell Berry's Hannah Coulter. Looking forward to our next book club!

6 comments:

  1. Oh I love that book. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the next book club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should use that quote. Our across-the-street neighbors sit outside as much as we do on their own porch, but there are times when I'd prefer they go inside.

    Can be amusing to go outside to sit and have an instant audience...and vice versa. :)

    Bet they oftentimes wish the same of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia grace1:57 PM

    I am loving the book...and I love your porch photo..Was it at the mountain get away? Of course, you know I love your porch..and you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, my friend's house in the mountain, where we read for hours with gentle rain on the roof!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMEN! Going for my third read of this book at the beach so it will be fresh in my 50-some year old brain!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always looking for a good book to read. I'll loook for this one next time I go to the library. I think it would be fun to be in a book club but never had the opportunity to do it.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...