Saturday, February 20, 2010

what moms know



I  am so privileged to still have my mother, and she lives nearby. Even though our roles have changed to a certain degree, she still seems to know more about many things than I do, and she never ceases to amaze me. The other day I learned that she knows how to tie a bow; something I never have been able to do properly. I didn't think about the fact that she would know, but of course, for certainly she tied many a sash on the back of her three little girls' dresses over the years. My niece was trying on a dress, and Mother matter-of-factly tied the bow right away.

"Can you teach me?" I asked as a mother of only boys. We went over it and over it and over it again, and I think I finally got it, to the soft and patient melody of my young niece: 
"Are we done yet?"





Reposted from April 2008. See Chari's Happy to Design for more Sunday Favorites.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, I wish she'd show me! I, too am lucky to have my Mom around. We have a good time driving around and having lunch out. Today we had a pretty almost springy day, lovely squishy muddy roads and a carwash when I got home! Have a lovely weekend! And thanks for visiting my new blog!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you teach me too? I'm sure Gracie would appreciate it very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very neat storY!!~ It is like me, I can't lace shoes properly...I know sounds strange....my husband does it for the boys all the time.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad taught me this skill. He even showed me how to make sure the bow comes out straight instead of crooked. Did your mom show you that trick? Just in case, here it is: When you start the "looping" process, ALWAYS loop the strand that is coming out of the LOWER side of the knot first, looping the OTHER side around it. If you do that - - - - straight bow EVERY time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:42 AM

    I love the photo, but I especially love the message that we never stop learning from our Mothers - and that children always ask "Are we done yet?"

    :)


    Wishing you a lovely Sunday!
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  6. She probably taught you to tie your shoelaces years ago and now she teaching you again. That is really a nice thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just the sweetest story. It says volumes in an understated, but effective way. Excellent usage of words!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ms.P...

    What a sweet post, my friend! I don't think it matters how old we get...Mother's always know more and know best! I really miss my mama...she lives 1200 mls. away and we only get to see one another about once a year! It's such a blessing to have yours living near you!!!

    Well sweet lady, thank you so much for joining in with Sunday Favorites...what a sweet post!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    PS...having 3 daughters, I learned how to tie a pretty bow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a talent to know how to tie a proper bow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah i agree that mother knows everything about her kid. Doesn't really matter in what age you are - it is a special kind of love that never ends :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...