Tuesday, February 23, 2010

About Face!

It's a pleasure to turn on my computer and be transported to places of beauty and inspiring words as I read blogs of people who have become friends. It's amazing how one can connect with others as we share mutual interests, ideas, and thoughts. It is sort of like the pen pals of the "old days." There's a lot more that can be said about this cultural phenomenon, but that's for another time.

Then there's fb, where I can catch up on friends near and far. The funny thing about that, with local friends, is that we already "know the news" before we even see each other, so, in a sense, have one step of conversation already out of the way. Not sure about how good that is, but.... Though some people may share way too much, there can never be enough photos for me. As have many others, I've recently connected with old college friends. We've been putting on photos from our days together at a small college (so we knew each other pretty well), and "discussing" them together as we reminisce. We've found we're still pretty much the same people except---ouch---we look just a bit older! What fun though.


So here's a funny fb story. I opened fb awhile ago on a Saturday night, and a young mother, Ginny, had just posted that:
  1. "Billy (age three) has just knocked out his front tooth and it's bleeding."
  2. I wrote: "Do you want me to call Youngest and ask what to do?" (Youngest is a dentist.)
  3. "Please do," came the reply, "we'll get photos on in a couple of minutes."
  4. Sure enough, by the time I had Youngest on the phone the pictures of Billy's mouth were on fb.
  5. He logged on to fb and I tagged the photos as mine, so my dentist son could see them on my fb page.
  6. Youngest gave his advice which I both typed in and phoned to Ginny.
All in under 10 minutes. Apparently Ginny's husband questioned her being on fb during a crisis, but she said, "You never know who might be on." Sure enough.  Smile.

9 comments:

  1. These times we live in are amazing aren't they? who would have thought that Facebook could be useful like that. What a world we live in.
    Hope you are having great day.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! My daughters just recently got me on FB. I wasn't real sure I would enjoy it, but I was wrong. I have come in contact with old friends I haven't seen in years. It's a great tool. Love your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:40 AM

    Oh, this is great!!! I wish I could have had this excellent, caring help when my son knocked out his front teeth (baby teeth) in a bicycle accident!
    YaY for you, your son, Ginny and Billy! Billy looks adorable, BTW!
    Hugs and smiles,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good story and a true one too! Love all this blogging and facebooking. Who would of thought all of this was possible a few short years ago?
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it's nice to have a Dentist in the family!~ That is too cute though:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That is such a fun story! My husband would definitely be freaking out if I got online during a crisis. He doesn't understand the blogging so much. I don't do Facebook -- just can't keep up with at all. As it is, I barely check my email anymore. Blogging is so much more fun. My son fell in preschool and wrecked his top two front teeth. His gums were green and purple and every strange color but normal. Thankfully, it didn't cause permanent damage. Have a great day! Blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - technology is so amazing. I quit facebook. So many people from school and other past friends were getting to be a pain. I much prefer family and my blogging buddies:)

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:08 PM

    How lucky was that for her! Love FB and what it offers. I have reconnected with so many old friends as well as new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To answer your question about my oatmeal bread no knead recipe I made one regular loaf (not in the photo) and then 3 little loaves for Mr. Vs teachers at daycare. I find that the little loaf pans are the best size to give a taste to someone. I basically ate the entire regular size loaf myself and now I wonder why the scale has gone up. Oh and the best is the little guy would not take one bite of the bread. Go figure:)
    jOYCE

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...