Tuesday, February 02, 2010

If This Soup Could Talk

The Gardener wishes we had an old cast iron pot of soup simmering night and day on the stove. We almost do, but not quite,--we make soup so much in this house. Sometimes, when we've eaten the same soup several times, with additions of left overs, we laugh about if the soup could only talk and tell us what all was in it. If you stretched your imagination even further, you could hear the distant echoes of happy or somber conversations over the meals that the left overs started from. That may be a little far fetched, but .....


Recipe for "Talking Soup"


(All ingredients are optional except a broth base)


Chicken or beef broth and or a can or pkg of soup
Leftovers from dinner last night
Can of beans, any type will do
Pasta--small is best
Spinach leaves makes it pretty
Can of diced tomatoes always makes it good


Take soup leftovers the next day and repeat above to make it enough for your soup meal.  Often need to add a cup or two of broth.


If you keep adding to your soup, you definitely need to cut it off before a week is up, as some of the original may be a week old by then!


Great with crackers, hummus, cheese and especially, freshly baked bread!


We've gotten into a tradition of having a family soup party over the holidays, often on Christmas Eve.  What is really fun it to have friends bring several soups, in crock pots, with recipes.  Some great soup tasting takes place, along with recipe gathering.

10 comments:

  1. I'm currently on a soup kick, too. Sometimes my soup is so good I wish I could make another pot just like that one, but each pot is uniquely different! And I got a bread machine and we are enjoying different kinds of bread with our soup. That's why I love Panera Bread, too. Their soups and breads are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:10 AM

    I really like this soup, I will have to try! Your blog is so interesting, and lovin' the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love soup and make it all the time, all year long. Most of my recipes are rather hodge podge -- hard to share a recipe when you don't really measure anything. I like to spice things up -- that always makes a great soup. Your's looks yummo! HAve a great day. :) Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:41 AM

    It looks and sounds delicious! My Hubby is a meat & potatoes kinda guy, but oh my - do I ever love soup!!!
    :)
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness...you and your sweet husband are so darned comforting to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We always enjoy your corn chowder recipe. It's yummy and also reminds us of our B.R. friends!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, soup! I love to make soup in the winter months. This looks so good I'm gonna round up some leftovers and start a pot tonight! Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:37 PM

    Great idea Podso...I have done that in the past (throwing in leftovers) but haven't recently...I forgot. Thanks for the reminder...I think I will try that tonight:)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...