Saturday, February 06, 2010

messy deeds



The other day I lingered in bed after the phone call came telling me I could stay home from work. The luxury of sleeping in tempted me briefly, but is easier said than done when my mind begins to work. I wiggled my toes and stretched as I thought of the luxury of unplanned free time. The gift of a day. Maybe I would just spend the whole day reading. Or making a few Christmas cookies. Definitely time for myself.

Then I remembered an elderly friend who had been rushed to the hospital the night before. I should check on her and maybe I should take my mom along with me to visit her. 


There was someone else I needed to visit in another hospital too. And find a plant to take to her. And then there was someone else who I needed to help with a change to a new drug plan. Suddenly my day seemed planned as I hopped out of bed to start it. I decided, okay, this would be a day of giving to others. I pictured myself serenely gliding through the day, bestowing acts of kindness on others like the sprinkling of fairy dust.

Well it certainly did not turn out that way. I did do what I needed and wanted to do, but it was a big case of one thing can lead to another. Throw in the mix holiday traffic, not the right plant where I thought it would be, and some extremely inept insurance people on the phone with me for an hour, reducing me to tears. The day deteriorated rapidly.

I came home with a splitting headache many hours later (long after I would have arrived home from work). I had a talk with myself on the way. What led me to believe that acts of kindness come wrapped in ease? Did I think I was owed a "walk in the park" just because I was helping others? Nowhere does Christ say our doing good for others will be pain free. If anyone knows about that, He does.

One of my prized possessions is a little soup bucket I have in my kitchen. The story, as I understand it, is that my great grandmother used it to take soup to sick people. I have a mental picture of a tiny Dutch woman in her heavy brown cape, walking down a city street carrying a little pot of soup and probably a basket of bread too. My soup bucket reminds me to think of others. My guess is that she didn't have an easy time with her good deeds either. 



Reposted from December 2007. See Chari's Happy to Designs for more Sunday reposts.

10 comments:

  1. How kind you were -- and I love the little soup bucket.

    Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post girl...now I have one of those bucket and mine is called a berry bucket...but I can just see your grandma taking soup in it...how kind is that...Hope you have a GREAT and Blessed Sunday my friend...Thank you so much for coming by and seeing me..I love your blog girl..Your follow list is not up so I will come back when it is and follow you...Don't know whats wrong with blogger today...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this re-post today. It really makes one stop and think about things in a new light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just "met" you at Martha's! I'm looking forward to reading your post. Just saw the Jan Karon reference. I've been a huge fan of hers to the point of doing book talks for libraries and organizations and even visiting "Mitford"--Blowing Rock, N.C.. Alas, Jan has now moved to the Charlottesville, VA area. I miss Mitford and those well-loved characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a blessing to those you helped.Your Dutch grandmother set such a good example with her little soup bucket!
    Have a good day,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. What she said . . . ^^^ LOL Great post - thanks for getting us back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is one that should be shared many times. It is so true. Too many people do for others so that they can tell everyone how selfless they are. Wrong.
    You have given us a good lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's like while we are busy making the arrangements, God is even busier making the plans!!

    I'm sure this day was a blessing to others even with the trauma as I am sure you already know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ms.P...

    My friend, you are such a sweet and generous person..I'm so happy to call you friend! You are absolutely right about the cost of giving to others, however to count the cost and still serve is commendable! I'm positive that you just made the day of those dear ones that were in the hospital! And I know that that your blessings will be multiplied...even that "free" day! Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful post with us for Sunday Favorites! I love your Grandma's soup bucket...I have never seen one like that...it's awesome!!!

    I do apologize at being so late to get by for a visit but I sure have been enjoying my daughter and five grandbabies visit!!! Thank you again for joining in with the fun of Sunday Favorites, my friend!!!

    Have a fabulous week...
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...