Friday, February 19, 2010

a little more on winter


It was cold, so very cold, and snow was stinging down on my face. I hadn't walked in a snowstorm in such a long time and I was loving it. As I waited along the street for friends in a shop I decided I had to either keep moving or get out of the storm for a minute.


I noticed a small antique shop tucked among the bread shops, coffee shops, and jewelry shops. I went inside. Immediate warmth, the wonderful scent of something familiar, and the sound of beautiful classical music aroused my senses and changed them from storm and cold to warmth and comfort. A little woman sat straight as a board in a wood chair by the door, as if to greet her customers. She was in a skirt, heavy sweater, cap, and fur boots, and was watching the storm with a book perched on her lap. We talked about the storm, the weather this year, and a bit about old things as I sailed around her shop, seeing, as always in such places, things like my mother had had, my grandmother had used, and more.


I didn't stay long, knowing I needed to catch up with the others who were probably on down the street by now. I thanked her as I left for giving me a chance to warm up. It was just one of those moments that come along in life that are special to me and me alone. I'll remember it for a long time.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:30 PM

    Lovely post! :)

    There have been strangers in my life that I have met for brief moments, that remain in my heart and mind. A quiet smile, and wave to go first, a short conversation... I try to remember this, and whenever I get the chance, pay it forward.

    Hugs!
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Dotsie, your photos are just wonderful. Wonderful!!! And your description of the day is perfect as well. How far from home were you? Was this near you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great feeling of home. Such lovely things and memories to warm you.

    Just heard the farmers almanac is predicting 40 inches of snow on or around March 7th. Let's hope they're wrong, but so far this season they have been spot on!

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know where that is!
    Evan lives right up the hill behind all of that. We always go into that antique shop. (looking for books!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    We're in PA, but who knows?! Time will tell, wouldn't that be weird if it's true?

    L

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is sweet-the visit and the feeling of home. Don't you love to see those old things again? I have bought bowls and dishes just because they were like the ones my 2 grandmas had. Spring's coming! Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post and a wonderful shop! I love shops like that! Have a lovely weekend.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...