Thursday, February 11, 2010

double vision

The story goes like this. The Gardener bought me Old Castle Christmas plates last Valentine's day. We enjoyed using them so much over the holidays that I hated to put them away, but I did. So, in my mind I thought, I'll watch for some regular red (pink) "castle" dishes. When at "everyone's favorite store" recently, you can imagine my delight at finding them at a very cheap price. I brought four home and presented them to the Gardener. "Guess what I bought you for Valentine's Day?"


Of course it was really a joke. We don't usually do much for each other on Valentine's Day, but this was my excuse to buy them. He looked at me like a deer in headlights.


Got up and went to his closet, coming back with a bag of four carefully wrapped pink old Castle plates, purchased just two hours before I had bought my four. "Guess what I got you for Valentine's Day?" He was "for real" and his were the "real thing," bought from a favorite antique place.

See the difference? I don't need to tell you which is the older series. Much clearer picture and true curves to the side of the plate.


I guess it goes to show, the longer you live together, the more alike you think! So now I can serve eight with my non-Christmas castle dishes. But since I want to use them for every day too (note: I could use different dishes every night, I love dishes so much), I'm sure you can guess which ones I will use, and which I will save for more special occasions, like eight around my table.


See Cindy's My Romantic Home to see more treasures.

20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness....how lucky you are!!! Red is my absolute most favorite......Must go out to my most favorite store soon to see if I could possibly be so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not quite The Gift of the Maji....but close! (We're also collecting red transferware, when we find it! And I use different dishes every night too!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so funny. No way my hubby would think of that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great story!!~ It is true your minds start combining, it is strange at times, but awesome! Happy Valentines day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a cute story! He read your mind! I've always loved this pattern, and I don't see anything wrong with using it every day. Other than being red, it isn't Christmasy at all. I have Mason's Vista and I use it every day....There sure is a difference between old and new, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was talking about the castle red christmas plates, they did have a christmas tree on them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story...something to laugh about for years to come. And a perfect Valentine's Day gift, for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful treasures!! I love the red.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is too funny girl...Love it...great minds and all that ha ha!! Girl I wished your fellower list would show up I keep coming by to add my name but its not their...blooger gets buggy sometimes...Hope you have a GREAT Valentine day my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post! Great minds do think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ms.P...

    Girlfriend, you truly have the sweetest and most thoughtful husband ever!!! I was nearly moved to tears...seriously! How thoughtful that was of him...to go looking for your beautiful pink castle dishes at the antique store!!! How fun...to think that at about the same time...you were buying your honey the same dishes! This is my favorite Valentine story this year, sweet lady! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!!! And yes, I certainly can see the difference between the two sets of plates! Nevertheless, the set that you bought is still gorgeous and when mixed around the table...no one would know the difference! I really do love this pretty pattern, I've been "eyeing" it for sometime now! Well my dear, you and your honey have a wonderful Valentine's Day!!!

    Just wanted to come by after reading your sweet, sweet note that you left on my Beloved Valentine table! I always enjoy our visits, my friend!!!

    Have a fabulous Friday and wonderful weekend!

    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great story! I love your plates! Jean

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet hubby! I like that he actually took the time to go to an antique store bought you the real ones. That was very thoughtful and sweet! Very cool that you were both thinking the same thing at around the same time.

    I hope you have a fabulous Valentine's Day!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love those dishes! And I really like how you gotthem! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Of course I love those dishes as I have some of the old and some of the new too. Thoughful gardener you have!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cute story. I love the plates and would use them whenever! And what about those adorable pitchers above your copywrite info? How cute they are! Shrry

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is awesome!! I am on the look out for these same plates!!

    What a great Valentines:)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...