Saturday, February 27, 2010

updated 25 cent deed


From a year ago:
"Rent-a-cart" grocery store. You may have one in your town. I finally figured out how the system works (it took me awhile), and quarter in hand, headed to the long line of chained grocery carts. A young mother passed me on the way to returning her cart. I thought to myself, let me save her the trouble. "Here," I said, thrusting my quarter towards her hand, "Wanna just give me your cart? Unless your daughter loves to do the coin thing..." I didn't want to take away a possible thrill from the little girl hanging on to the cart.

"Just take my cart," she spoke softly, smiling into my eyes, "I insist. Happy Birthday or something." Such a small 25 cent thing, but so huge in the way it blessed me and made me smile. After shopping I headed again to the line of carts, thinking I'd be making 25 cents that morning when I hooked it back up to the chain and got my quarter. Then I saw an older woman about to begin her shopping. I headed toward her, offering my cart, as she tried to hand me a quarter. Of course I refused.

It sort of reminded me of the movie Pay It Forward. On a very small scale. And I was able to do a good deed, though it cost me nothing.

Today:
Yesterday at a S*m's Club, on a very frigid, windy day, I noticed an older woman packing her groceries in the back of her car. As she slammed down the hood, she looked dizzy and then leaned into her cart, resting her head on the handle. Then she looked up, and I could see her eyeing the distance to the cart return. Brrr... the wind ... I turned back to the parking lot and asked if I might have her cart. With her reaction you'd think I just awarded her a thousand dollars. Obviously she needed the help. It warmed my heart so that I barely felt the chilled air as I pushed her cart into the store. Such a very simple thing, but I was so glad I had done it. So true that it's "better to give than receive." Any day.

Reposted from a year ago. See Chari's Happy to Design  to see more reposts.

13 comments:

  1. It is the simple things in life...why the heck does Aldi's charge a quarter anyhow? Well you need to come visit me on the front porch, it's all about southern porches!!~ Bring your sense of humor along, she may get a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet thing to do. Sometimes those little things can make your day. And it's so easy for us to do if we just keep out eyes open. You've inspired me to do random acts of kindness this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At our grocery store with the "quarter a cart" system, we frequently just hand a quarter to the person with a cart closest to where we parked - - - save a lot of trouble!!!

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this story! Little random acts of kindness can make someone's day and surely make our own. I'm sure I'll think of this story the next time I put a basket away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post. I just love those kinds of days!

    This evening we went to a buffet restaurant for dinner and the woman who "worked" our table didn't really do any "work" what so ever. however, this young woman who was really working her tail off cleaning tables as fast as she could noticed our table with a couple of dirty dishes and came over and took them away. She did this throughout our meal. the woman who was supposed to be working our table spent a great deal of time chatting with a co-worker and never once collected dirty dishes from our table. When we left, I sought out the young woman who did clean off our table and gave her a pretty decent tip. she was so surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful post and a great reminder that little things can mean a lot! Thanks for sharing your heartwarming story!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ms.P...

    My friend, I have really been enjoying your Sunday Favorite's posts...they just warm my heart and do me good!!! Thank you for sharing your kindness and sharing your story!!! You are absolutely right about it taking so little...and yet it can mean the world to someone else!

    Thank you for making my heart smile, dear lady!!! Have a super Sunday!!!

    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, we have a Aldi's here as well. Actually, I like the idea of having to insert the quarter. It guarantees there will be no stray carts to blow around the lot putting dings into my car.

    I hate to see a cart boy be put out of a job but I am all for anything that lowers my grocery prices. And, yes I look for every opportunity to be of service.

    My husband claims that I still act like a store employee no matter where I'm shopping because I am always running off to help someone find something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never heard of paying for a cart to shop in a store! That would be the day! Who is supposed to get the money?

    I think it is great that you helped that older woman - I would do the same.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here in France the supermarches have had these kinds of trolleys for many years. Some stores give out plastic tokens to use instead of a ONE EURO COIN, that's a lot pricier than 23 cents.
    Keeps the parking lot a tidier and the carts don't end up littering the surrounding area.
    ~Maggie~

    ReplyDelete
  11. They say the greatest gift you can give someone is a smile. I used to think that meant when you smile at them, but I have come to realize that more often it means when you bring a smile to their face.

    Many days what may seem small to one person can be the bright spot in and otherwise terrible day to another.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful post this is. The small things in life seem to mean the most.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Girl I never heard of such a thing...all our carts are free here just left in the parking lot for you to run into...I love this idea it would keep people from leaving them all over the place and cut back our prices at the store...Thanks for sharing...And I'm now your number 50 follower finaly...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...