Saturday, August 01, 2009

Come For Tea

A silly "thrill of a lifetime" for me was being served a true Dorset tea by an English woman in her 250 year old house in the little town of Wareham, England, surrounded by Saxon walls (though half the size of what they had originally been). This is living in real history. The old house is in incredible shape, with inside shutters and an amazing English garden in the back. This is one of those houses whose door opens right up on the winding village street, each house attached to the next.

We entered through the tiny car park at the back gate. The "coffee" table was laid with the tea things. Napkins, small sterling silver butter knives, small blue and white plates, cups and saucers, and the cream and sugar. After we had given our greetings, we sat down and out came the tea pot, a plate of buttered scones, a plate of buttered raisin toast and a Dorset apple loaf cake. And of course, raspberry jam and divine clotted cream that was the "cream of the crop." The very finest top of the cream. It looked like yellow butter. The proper way, though much debated, is to put the jam on first and then a touch of the cream. Milk in the teacup first of course. Mmmmmm. Around and around the lovely goodies were passed. "You must have some more." It seemed the thing to take more than one, and have seconds at that. (This type of nonsense must only be allowed because the Brits walk so much!) I was so touched. I just sat and thoroughly enjoyed the moment, taking it all in, not believing I was where I was.

Interesting conversation with the tea preceded a tour of the house. Then we walked down the road to the 11th century parish church...where there was a flower festival wrapping up. We saw a cast iron baptismal font that was carefully hidden when Lord Cromwell turned anything made of iron into canon balls. The church had been burned once, rebuilt, and at one time fell down. But the very front chapel in one corner is original. It is now a prayer room. As I stared at the small chairs gathered for their current mid week prayer service, I could not help but sense history in a tangible way. Here believers had gathered throughout history and prayed for things like the Black Plague, the French Revolution, the War of 1812--you get the picture.

First written in August 2006. For more favorite reposts see Happy To Design.

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience! I would love to see that church, as you said the history in this place must be tangible. And the tea sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing this. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that would be a HUGE thrill for me! What fun. I would love to get to see inside one of those old English houses ... love them so much, only seen them from outside.

    And clotted cream... delish!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. A friend just got back from a trip to London/Paris and she and her husband took high tea at their hotel. It sounded like pure pleasure.

    But yours sounds cozier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, my heart sank when you said the church burned. I am a genealogy researcher and the thought of the lost records brings tears to my eyes.
    I bet you could just feel the previous generations vibes in that old home. All the tea that had been consumed, the conversations, the walk up the street, all of the ones who were there before you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Ms.P...

    Ohhh my...what a grand experience and a great post to reshare with all of us for Sunday Favorites!!!

    I loved reading about your truly English tea...something I've never experienced...it sounded absolutely delightful!!! Ohhh, I can only imagine! I would just love to see an old English house such as this...simply charming! Were you able to get any photos of it? And the church...how fabulous! Like you, my mind would have certainly wandered to the era's gone by...and to think that you were sharing the exact same space...stood on the exact same floors...is awesome!!! When I traveled to Europe about 4 yrs. ago...I found myself so intriqued with this very same idea...so I touched the old, old walls...letting my mind wander at just who else may have done the same thing hundred's and in some cases, thousands of years before!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us today...and thank you for joining in with Sunday Favorites!!!

    Have a super Sunday, my friend!
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely tea experience! How I would love to have joined you! I just hung on every word!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lydia grace1:09 PM

    I want to live there and have tea everyday..I know, Dream on....and I will..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely!
    I had High Tea in Quebec City once. It made me feel like giggling.
    Not proper!!
    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could picture everything as I was reading it and could taste the tea and Devon cream. I love England too!
    Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, that sounds perfectly delightful...it would me a memory fo a lifetime!
    Rene'

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...