Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Making of Bonbons

I've never made candy before. And it shows. And I know better than to try something new, such as making bonbons for a bridal shower. At least practice once before. Right!
But the recipe in a well known home and garden magazine looked so fool proof. Certainly I could manage it. Simply follow the directions completely. I devoted a morning to it. Got some advice before I started. And got a little frantic mid morning. Two phone consultations--one trip to the grocery--one mercy visit by a friend--later, I pronounced them finished. But they certainly didn't look like the gorgeous photos in the magazine. (Well maybe two did, and they will be front and center.) I learned a lot about making candy during this special little time.

I went off to an appointment, leaving my very best of the bunch (the last to be made after some experience under my belt) still chillin' in the frig on a cookie sheet. To my utter amazement, two of the "good ones" were missing when I arrived home. TWO. I immediately went to the only possible culprit...the Gardener. I was really angry. He looked at me innocently with big adoring eyes. "There were plenty. The only reason two are gone is that one was sooo good, it begged eating another." I asked him how he knew how many I needed, and did he know how much work I had put into them, and that he took two of the best of the lot? But how would he have known, really. So of course, for the remainder of time these little pups were in the frig, this sign appeared.
I am certainly glad my good friends are coming to this shower. They will understand when these little candies don't look like M. Stewart made them. The important thing is that they are deee licious! (Ground up oreo cookies mixed in cream cheese, covered with white dipping chocolate--how can you go wrong with those ingredients.)
I'm not sure if my now vast experience in candy making will cause me to attempt any more of such nonsense. Either way, ready or not, here we go to the shower!

7 comments:

  1. This story is adorable. And sounds as if the Gardener truly has your number. ;)

    Bet they were enjoyed by all. Btw, you'll have to post the recipe now, you know.

    Such sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your honesty...and PICTURES. The yummy part is what we all know REALLY matters anyway.
    XXOO DvdH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:41 PM

    Podso they were delicious and the bride just loved them! BLS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, those seriously look and sound very good! You had nothing to worry about! Trust me, if I had been there, you'd probably have had to pull me away from the platter!=)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a recipe you will make again and again because people love them so much. You will be an old pro next time. I get requests for them every Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got that recipe off the internet from a blog before Christmas. I bought the ingredients, but I never got them made.

    The recipe is a hoot. I'll send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look amazing to me Dotsie.
    The link for this appeared at the bottom of your latest posts - you know how there are always 3 other pics with links.
    You did well with 230 posts in 2009 I see!
    Are you serious that is all that's in the recipe? A packet of ground up Oreos and cream cheese - are there specific quantities?
    And white dipping chocolate?
    I would need the "Don't touch" sign in my house too!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...