Friday, August 28, 2009

Street Strings

I was profoundly affected watching The Sol*ist recently. Some movies are like that for me. The story lingers in my mind. This one did for several reasons I think. My father played the cello, and I did too (for a short time when I needed to learn an instrument in school.) I love its low, mellow tones. In the film it was neat to see a man playing a cello on the street, rather than a guitar or violin. I love any movie that boldly shows the gritty part of life. And, I appreciate the portrayal it gives to mental illness on the streets. I felt like the film gave a good try at getting inside the mind of someone with schizophrenia. Lastly, the ending spoke volumes. It was not a pie-in-the-sky, all-things-work-out ending. It was reality, but mixed in that reality was a profound statement of what comes from looking outside oneself and giving to another. The "normal" guy in the film was the one whose life got better because he was willing to step outside his comfort and give to one "not so normal," including giving the very sacrificial gift of friendship.

And, in realizing the reality of life at the ending of the film, one comes to ponder what is really "normal." Some things in life actually are OK the way they are, and don't need to be "fixed." I recommend the film, albeit with a language caveat (not overwhelming, or gratuitous, but definitely there).

Photo: my dad and his cello; photo by HSF.
PS: 38 happy years for the Gardener and I today ...

5 comments:

  1. Ah, Sneaky Pete. Slipping in word of your anniversary at the end of that post.

    Enjoy the day! Hope you and your sweet husband can have some fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary! And I loved that movie, too, just watched it about a week or two ago, and did you see the real-life people in the extras? I like seeing the real people a movie like that is based on..........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Amanda, watching the extras with the dvd was well worth while. Real people. and then you can also see the "real life" guys the movie was based on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, a wedding to attend this weekend for you as you reflect on 38 years together! I haven't seen that movie. I'm still in Bon Appetit mode. Take that Gardener to see that one!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lydia grace3:02 PM

    Checked out the movie yesterday..Same kind of reaction as yours, except I never played the cello, nor did my dad...It was one of those poignant films which i tend to like.
    Happy belated anniversary...blessings

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...