Thursday, August 20, 2009

another shopping tale

Today I stopped at a popular chain grocery store. Wide aisles, well oiled grocery carts, nicely dressed people, good lighting, soft music ... it was the perfect place to spend a little extra effort studying food products as I had some time. Oh, and did I mention "expensive prices?" Of course, compared to the store where they put a lot of stuff up on walls. I wanted a particular item I could only get at this store.

Time to check out--quiet time of day, only two checkers, one was working on a huge order and the other had a "one item" person in line. Who would you choose? Turns out the one item person was exchanging, or something complicated, so the manager had to called, etc. etc ... as time marched on...

Along came a "Higher up," I'll call him, as often happens when there is a jam at the check out. He had seen what was going on from behind his big desk and noted that I had been there a bit too long, waiting patiently. Just then another woman arrived in the check out area, and hesitated not knowing where to turn. "Higher up" looked at me, an "older" woman, and then at the other customer, remember, not in line yet, and called her over to his counter. She happened to be in short shorts, blond, tanned and, you know, quite cute. Of course he should have pulled me over to his lane; that is how it's done. He glanced over at me sheepishly, plain and simply squirming in his eyes, and I knew that he knew that I knew that he had profiled the situation and chose young over older. Just one of those things.

But there was some redemption to the age thing. After my order was completed, the young checker rather gingerly asked if I was in a certain age bracket. "Just arrived," I smiled broadly.

"Well then, you get a discount just for today." $3.50 off the bill. What a deal.

"I'll take it ... there are benefits to growing older."

Now fully aware of my age she asked if I needed help with my shopping cart. "Oh no! I'm not that old," I quipped back. I sped up my pace as I pranced out of the store, noting the young blond woman still checking out. Wow, "Higher up" must be a bit slow on the job.

6 comments:

  1. Lydia grace6:19 PM

    I can't believe she asked if you were that certain age...I just wish they would wait for us to ask for the discount..oh, well..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a balancing act in your head, isn't it?

    When the kids and I were at church cleaning, this week, another woman and I were talking, and honestly she looks nearer 65 than anything, but is in her fifties from what she followed up to say. She was talking about "those of us in our fifties", meaning me, and I wanted to cry. I just turned fifty, and don't want to be considered IN my 50's yet, you know? (whine)

    Had a long, hard stare in the mirror when I got home, let me tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I had no idea there was a discount. It was a random discount they were doing, and not for seniors but for over a certain age. It all depends whose talking, who is a senior, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came back to see your comments, and re-read what I'd put up. I sound horsey, I'm thinking, and that wasn't the intent. Had a day of feeling a bit long in the tooth, you know. You were right on target, and I loved the way you put it!

    Just hard living in a fifty year old body, with my mind still being 20. I know you feel the same way! It's those decade mile markers that are so challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:13 PM

    Actually, I love my age. (Right behind you Podso)I earned each and every year, have many wonderful memories and am excited about what lies ahead. However, if truth be told, I have been asking my husband a lot lately if I look like I am soon of that particular decade!! The only reason I don't mention it is to keep Podso's age a secret!L. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...