Saturday, August 22, 2009

A Random Rose


I found this rose in my kitchen the other day. If it was meant for me, I certainly am thankful. I am partial to the color.

That same day I was walking on a busy street near our house, thinking about what an ugly part of the walk it was. The sidewalk was overcome by weeds, overgrown shrubs were hanging over a shaky, tall fence, causing me to bend my head to get through, a handful of littler lined the edge of the street ... As I looked up after climbing through a particular rough patch of overgrowth, I discovered a lone beautiful flower shining its face over the fence. Beauty right there, in the midst of the ugliness.

It's always good to notice the beauty: "When we view the little things with thanksgiving, even they become big things." (Jan Karon in These High Green Hills.)

Photo of my random rose drinking from my grandmother's oil/vinegar decanter, circa 1910. After writing this I found out the rose was not meant for me, but I did enjoy it immensely.

This was first published in May '08. For more Sunday Favorites see Happy to Design.

7 comments:

  1. Can't imagine who the rose was meant for, if not for you. :)

    And I see a teabag in the near part of the photo, on one of those little teapot-shaped trivets. Don't you love those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rose is beautiful! Loved the story and your how you used your heirloom of your grandmothers for a vase!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ms. P...

    Ohhh...what a lovely rose! And you're right...the color is fabulous! I enjoyed reading about your walk and the wise saying written by Jan Karon! It's so true...I really do believe there is always "some" beauty to behold...it's up to us to be paying attention and see it!!!

    My friend, this is a beautiful photo! Ohhh...and I love that gorgeous blue and yellow toile mosaic piece that is behind the rose...is it a tray? Simply gorgeous! Your Grandma's decanter is beautiful...so perfect for that pretty pink rose! Thank you so much for resharing this post with us on Sunday Favorites!!! It was lovely!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very thought provoking post. I'm glad I caught it. A lot of the time we just hurry through our busy lives and don't even see those beautiful pulling on us for attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was commenting using my hubby site Simple Man, sorry I forgot to sign out of his. So the comment I left is from me! Lady Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As long as you enjoyed the rose it was meant for you. The enjoyment is free and not dictated by anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was in YOUR kitchen, I'd say it WAS yours!!!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...