Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Random Rose


I found this rose in my kitchen the other day. If it is meant for me, I certainly am thankful. I am partial to the color.

That same day found me walking on a busy street near our house, thinking about what an ugly part of my walk it was. The sidewalk was overcome by weeds, overgrown shrubs were hanging over a shaky, tall fence, causing me to bend my head to get through, a handful of litter lined the edge of the street ....  As I looked up after climbing through a particular rough patch of overgrowth, I discovered a beautiful flower singley shining its face over the fence. Beauty right there, in the midst of the rest.
 
It's always good to notice the beauty: "When we view the little things with thanksgiving, even they become big things." (Jan Karon in These High Green Hills.)

Photo of my random rose drinking from my grandmother's oil/vinegar decanter, circa 1910.  P.S.  After this post I found out the rose was not meant for me ... but I have enjoyed it immensely!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...