Saturday, February 13, 2010

heart stuff

There's something about Valentine's Day that rings in my
heart. It's not so much a romantic time. It evokes childhood memories of making valentines. I think that's it. It was one of my favorite times of the year. I remember decorating shoe boxes with red tissue paper and hearts, cutting a slit in the top of the box, and proudly carrying it to school. Throughout the week we'd place our valentines in each other's boxes. There the boxes would be, all proudly lined up at the side of the room, waiting for the party day when they'd be opened and then carted back home, filled with valentines from friends. And even as an adult, making valentines is just something I do nearly every year. Silly, I know.









This year I've been reading my favorite great-aunt's journal, so I decided to take a gorgeous photo of her as a 21 year old, in 1915, and use it on my valentines. I wish I'd known her as a young woman, but through reading tidbits in her journal, I'm getting some idea of her life as a young woman.

Happy Valentine's Day!

5 comments:

  1. Thank YOU for the one in here that came in the mail for Emma and myself. Mine will be in your mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:42 AM

    Beautiful valentines! I have many of the same happy memories and feelings that you have shared here. :)

    Wishing you and yours a very Happy Valentine's Day!
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  3. How special to have a journal like that available to you!

    Happy Valentine's Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, these are so pretty! I love that you have your aunt on there, and that you also have her journal. What a treasure. Sherry

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...