Tuesday, July 06, 2010

shoulder taps



Yesterday as I got ready for work I thought about a young friend whose baby is due this month. I wondered when in the month she was due, and I wondered if I'd be working and could care for this second son as I did the first. It turns out that just at the time she came into my thoughts, she was actually arriving at the hospital. It was such a joy to help her feed her baby, bathe him, and get him going in life.



Last week I came across some photos of us in rather hilarious outfits: the Gardener in a too-short wildly flowered red shirt (not his style) and me in a flowered "moo-moo." We had arrived in an African country and our luggage hadn't followed us. When it's so very hot you need a change of clothes and this is what our older colleagues came up with from their closet. The odd thing is that we hadn't thought of these people or the experience in a long time. But the very same day I found the photos, the Gardener met up with their son visiting from California. He grew up in that African house, and we knew him apart from his parents. We hadn't seen him in years, but here he was, an old friend, right in front of our eyes.  The very same day I found the photos.



Lately I've been noticing a lot of these little "coincidences." They seem to infiltrate my days. I may be making more of them than I should, but I like to observe details and connect dots. Since I believe God ordains each of my days, I don't believe these are truly coincidences, and they may even have a purpose ... beyond any that I can figure out. Because they show me God through out my day, I envision them as little taps on my shoulder. "I'm here." Anyone who believes in a Creator knows that He's "into details." 

3 comments:

  1. I call those moment "God nods"!

    I remember the nurse who helped me handle my firstborn. What a comfort she was. Kudos!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You express this so well...all those seeming little coincidences that we know are not at all...thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of "taps on our shoulders"... thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...