Wednesday, July 28, 2010

in the pink


I have a mental picture of my grandmother, as a young bride during difficult times, trudging up to the dime store to purchase some pretty dishes. I don't think they cost much, otherwise they would not be called "depression glass." When I was a teenager I was privileged to receive my grandmother's old cedar hope chest, and inside was her large set of depression glass. It was really a dessert set with no glasses or cups, but lots of interesting serving pieces.


Eventually I found mugs, large plates and bowls at kmart and finally had something that looked OK to drink from. But I always hoped, in the back of my mind, to eventually find teacups. Over the years I've never found just the right ones ... until last week.


You know how it is ... there they were, just there calling me from a little town near the NC/GA border. I didn't have the saucers with me, and I've learned there are different colors of pink depression glass,
 ...but I was pretty sure so went on and bought them, the price was sooo good!


Brought them home and the color was a perfect match, as was the design. Quite possibly they were meant to be together!  Now I'm wondering about the story behind these cups. How did they get separated from the rest of their family of dishes? And how were they purchased, and what was the home like where they were used? My mind can really go on things like this!

Now, anybody for tea?


Can you determine which pink piece is not "real" depression glass ?

Joining Susan's Between Naps on the Porch  for Tablescape Thursday.

21 comments:

  1. Ah, nostalgia! I have some of my grandmother's pink depression glass plus a few pieces that I purchased. I also have some green and the two work beautifully together. Anytime I'm using anything old, I wonder about those who used it before. Someday I must post about the bridal tea party I did for a friend using my grandmother's tea set.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel sure those tea cups were meant to be with your saucers and that's why they were just waiting for you to find them! Your pink depression glass is so lovely, and you have wonderful stories and memories to go along with it. Sounds like you could also make up a few stories and write a little book as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful find...very pretty setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a nice pink depression glass collection consisting of one plate. I guess I have to start somewhere!! Love all of your pieces.

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:46 PM

    Oh, I think this is the most beautiful table setting you've shared with us!!! Gorgeous!

    Have a wonderful week!
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely! I don't have depression glass anymore - I sold it when I downsized....Silly me. I may have to get some more....
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty, so glad you found a perfect match-enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that was a perfect find!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely setting! I adore depression glass and especially pink. To answer your question, is the botton layer not real depression glass?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really, really like pink depression glass, and I love this.

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My Aunt had a set of goblets and sherbet cups of pink depression ware...it is the prettiest. I love your new cups...the color and the shape. I couldn't tell you which is NOT depression glass. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your grandmother is smiling from heaven each time that you honor her by using her lovely pink depression glassware...so special. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your beautiful pink depression glass. Yes, when I find vintage pieces that I love -- I also wonder about the woman who once set her table with them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely pink depression glass~ especially lovely layered, I couldn't begin to tell you what was genuine! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have one piece of this glass - a cake plate - and I pull it out a couple of times a year.
    It's lovely that the cups and saucers were reunited with their kin!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think those cups have just been waiting for you! I think it is wonderful to think about how happy your grandmother would be that you treasure and use her dishes. I have no idea which pieces aren't the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love using treasures that people give me! I think thoses cups were waiting for you..so glad you found them. A very pretty tablescape...especially since it came from your grandmother!Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a pretty pink table! How wonderful to have things passed down from your Grandmother.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  19. I too have some of my grandmother's things. We are the lucky ones for sure. I love your pink table. Finding the perfect cups is quite a blessing. enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your depression glass dishes are so pretty. I am not sure which ones are not.....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are so pretty. I look at them at the antique mall here and there is always some there if you need any more pieces, let me know.
    Did you know that Martha Stewart has a set of those?

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...