Sunday, May 23, 2010

the office


Well sometimes you get so used to living with something you don't realize how shabby it has become (and I'm not talking about the good kind of "shabby" as in "shabby chic.") It was time to clean up my little upstairs cubbyhole office, in a oversized closet. I love this place because I store everything here that pertains to me, such as my files, my photo and craft stuff, my printer, writing paper ... you get the picture. It's a real "powerhouse" and the Gardener teases that it's the "nerve center" of the house.


When we moved into this house 10 years ago the Gardener made me a desk by placing an old closet door over two filing cabinets, and then added some shelving. A dear friend gave me a window for my windowless room. I'm sure in this "before" photo I was in the middle of some project.  It's not usually this messy, but made a good "before" pic.


 I used paint left-over from the outside shutters and doors that I painted last year, and added three coats of what I would call "shellac." I love the shine! Bought a new lamp at T*rget, and repurposed my window view as a collage frame of some favorite photos.


It cost me less than $20 for everything and was well worth it. There is a much more serene feel about my little space now.  Green is calming, isn't it?


See Between Naps on the Porch for more Metamorphoses ... on Monday!

24 comments:

  1. lydia grace6:57 PM

    Great job on the Office...I am going to tackle mine this week..Just needs a big dose of organization...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mighty impressive! And fun to imagine you in your space. You're inspiring! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two words: I wish! As in I wish my office space/craft room was that organized!

    Visiting from BNOTP and a happy new follower!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:20 PM

    I love your little office space! I've got a craft room that's a mess and I've got to get it cleaned up!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your before picture is way tidier than my work space. It is just unbelievably messy. I haven't been down there in months to clean up. Just to pile stuff up.
    You after shots are great. Just waiting for a new project I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great working space!
    Stop over for a chance for a Lantern giveaway from CSN - patti

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great space! What a creative, fun way to use a closet. Are the closet doors still there so you can close this off when not in use?

    Thank you for sharing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! You did a wonderful job! Sometimes when I put off a project & then finally do it, I wonder why I didn't do it sooner! Thanks for the nice comment on my front porch post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great! You did a wonderful job! Sometimes when I put off a project & then finally do it, I wonder why I didn't do it sooner! Thanks for the nice comment on my front porch post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Looks great...love the lamp. You inspired me to clean my desk off...again! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so amazing! You are inspiring me to fix up my own office!

    ReplyDelete
  12. your office looks so peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great make-over! I ♥ your new lamp...it matches my bench cushion that I just recovered for this MMonday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love what you did - looks peaceful!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the peaceful, clean feel of your changes. I am working on my creative space and think if I simplify it will help. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your office.
    Is is always so neat?
    Where do you do your ART making?
    Lovely, lovely.
    I would love to have such a place to retreat to. I end up in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Dotsie...

    Oooh...I love your office! It looks so warm and inviting! I love how you repurposed an oversized closet just for your very own office! Girlfriend, as soon as I seen that gorgeous black and white damask lamp shade...I just ooohed and aaahed...so very pretty! Love what you did, my friend! BRAVO!!!

    Have a marvelous Monday!
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your office looks like the perfect place to create and be in touch with others. I think this is my first visit to your blog, and I really enjoyed my time here! I look forward to coming back soon!
    Blessings,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your little cubby-hole office Podso. I took over #2 daughter's bedroom when she moved out for my office. (#1 was already gone & married)
    I like the addition of the window, opens it up and of course more light for you.
    I have a love seat and large flat screen TV too that's nice for me to watch what I want when hubby has sports on the TV in the family room.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous7:03 PM

    Wow, that's quite a change! It looks great. I like what you did with the window.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nothing like getting er done! Looks great, organized and clean:) So nice to see you as well, I have been so busy, and soon the boys will be out of school.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like your little nook. It's got everything you need and it is all put together so charmingly. Your window idea is very clever.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...