Friday, May 21, 2010

counting the ways

The old dog house sits empty, waiting for the next garage sale. The zip line has been taken down, but her old chain still hangs by the back door.  Meshach has been gone five months now and I'm amazed at how much I still miss her. She's "everywhere" in our house and yard, so I miss her many times a day:

1. When I come home and she's not in the back yard barking her greeting.
2. Or when I unlock the door and she's not there with a wagging tail.
3. When I go into the kitchen each morning.
4. When I vacuum.
5. When I dust the dander away.
6. When we spill food on the floor.
7. When I don't need to step lightly walking near her part of the yard.
8. When we go to bed at night and don't have to take her for her nightly walk.
9. When the kitchen floor stays clean for a few days in a row.
10. When the gardener is out of town and I'm home alone at night.


Amazing how you can miss your pup. Of course 15 years is a long time to get attached.

8 comments:

  1. I can certainly relate to your loss of Meshach. It has been less than a month for us. I hear Argos upstairs (he liked to lay in a window seat and view his domain), I allow enough time to let him out before I head out for an errand or meeting, I expect him to greet me when I come home. And, yes, he was the best "home security system" ever!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do affect our lives, don't they, in so many ways we don't realize.

    I remember after Don died, the cat would get in bed with me, under the covers, and just look up at me. I wish that she could have talked in those moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My visit (with my childhood friend, Cynthia) to "Mitford" was almost ten years ago. One of my blogging friends told me that The Grill has closed! It was fun finding the area so familiar after reading the books. When I did the first book talk, our state representative came. He said he loved the Mitford books--found them very relaxing in his hectic life! I can't imagine my husband reading them, however!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, my memory is not that good. I actually wrote the essay right after the trip and it's been in my file ever since.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you are going through. We lost our two Min Pins a while back, and I miss them every day. I can't bear to get rid of their crate because they loved it so. I keep thinking that another little dog will enjoy it soon, but we haven't quite made the commitment to another pup yet. But my heart goes out to you in this fresh loss. They do have a way of leaving their paw prints all over our hearts.

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lydia grace3:19 PM

    We still miss Shach on '24' nights..guess it's good '24' is ending, as well...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry! A pet becomes a part of the family. Losing who/what you love is always hard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry. I didn't know oyu lost your precious Meshach.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...