Tuesday, May 04, 2010

he asked

Forty years ago this past Sunday, he asked me a question and I answered yes, and then he put a shiny diamond on my finger. It may be a bit worn now, and has had a few repair jobs, but to me it's as beautiful today as it was that day we stood on a mountain top overlooking the Hudson River. Two years before, on that date, he had asked me out on a first date. I wasn't so sure about this tall young basketball player, but I agreed to his invitation. So began a lifetime together. And it's probably good I didn't have a bird's eye view of where all life would take us.

Sunday we sat at a different place in church than we usually do and had a new view of our large congregation. As I watched new mothers carrying their babies into church, or young families staking out a pew, or teenagers gathered in a corner before service, or a grandma showing off her granddaughter, I saw stages of our life march before us.
I'm not sure the Gardener was thinking the same, but I looked up at him and grabbed his hand. His eyes looked misty. Serving God, others, and the church has been our life together, and has taken us to many places and through many situations, both good and not so good. We are so much a part of each other and a part of our work together, I can't imagine any other life. I think we both were feeling that this Sunday as we looked out over a congregation we love.

Sure as a young woman of 20 I had no idea what saying yes to this young man (I think he was on one knee) would mean for my life,  but I affirmed again on this 40th "yes" anniversary, that I would have it no other way. God's grace has been nothing but abundant in our lives. I am thankful today.

12 comments:

  1. Happy 40th "yes" anniversary. May you find the road ahead of you as richly rewarding as the road behind.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. so beautiful...so much to be thankful for...we really were clueless, weren't we? God is so good! Thank you for the heartfelt words!
    Rene'

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been quite a journey, hasn't it. Congratulations to you and the gardener.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautifully said. What a blessing you two have in each other, and how your lives have been lived together. And, congratulations on your 40th anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you remember the date of your engagement. I can remember our month, but the day is lost to me.

    How sweet for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very happy anniversary to you and your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful post, Podso. Rmantic and touching. I wish you another happy 40 years together!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary Podso. Where does the time go? You have numerous good memories already and I wish you many more!
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary Podso. Your post and your life sound just as they should be, happy and in HIS will.
    I'm so glad I found you.
    My best to the gardener Elder and to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was looking for a "like very much" button to push. Happy Anniversay, and thank you for the blessing you have been and continue to be in my life by your godly perspective and example.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Podso,
    We are celebrating our 40th anniv this Sunday..but of our actual wedding.
    I read somewhere you read the Cherry Ames books.
    I LOVED those..never wanted to be a nurse, but could never get enough of those books!
    Never met anyone else who read them!
    Happy said yes anniv!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...