Thursday, May 27, 2010

the end of an era

For the last eight years, Lydia Grace and her husband have come over to our house almost every Monday night beginning in January through to the middle of May. It started out casually and then became something of a priority for us. Five before 9 they arrive, and by five after 10 they are backing out the driveway for their short ride home. It has become more than just watching a TV show together. We've been friends for years, but Monday nights have connected us even more.

This is how it goes. We sit in the same seats each Monday and for five minutes catch up on our weeks. Lydia G. is the one entrusted with the remote. During the first commercial we get up and pour our decaf coffee. During the ads we discuss what we think is going on and predict what might happen. And marvel about how fast our hero gets from one place to another and heals from his many wounds. Sometimes we call my sister where they are all watching it, to discuss some part of it all. It's good fun and we laugh a lot about the absurdity of it all. This is a big stress-reliever in our busy week. :-)

Each episode supposedly is a literal hour in a day filled with combating terrorist plots, finding bad guys, and jumping off buildings. It's not the kind of TV I normally watch, but something about it caught us up in it years ago. Strong hero, standing for what is right above all else, singly focused on overcoming evil ...

But it's over as of this week. We got together with a third couple to watch the tee-voed (I don't even know how to spell that word) series finale on their big screen and ate some Chinese take out. We liked being able to stop along the way to discuss it or replay something we didn't hear well. And then it ended, leaving us with questions (as happens at the end of every year), except this time we probably won't get answers ... unless the big predicted movie actually comes about.

Meanwhile, what should we do? Maybe we'll take up playing cards. We do want to keep up our tradition of getting together. By the way, Happy Birthday today, LG !

4 comments:

  1. Lydia grace7:18 AM

    I want a copy of this...How fitting a tribute to our many years of '24' watching..It has been a blast and we must continue, even just for dinner each week..let's not let it fall through the proverbial cracks. I treasure you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our older son is/was a dedicated "24" fan. He also liked "Lost". I find it hard to commit to television on a regular basis but did start watching "Lost" and liked it. However, I missed a few and was lost! My last "commitment" was to "West Wing". I wanted it to continue because I thought Jimmy Smits would make a good president!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so out of it! I knew you had to be talking about either 24 or Lost (but wasn't sure which until I read your other commentors).

    Maybe I should not admit that I've never seen either show, though I've certainly heard about them from friends...oh well, too late now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Podso, I love having a friend's tradition like this. I have started movie night-Actually, I have to start it again-we really had fun watching chick flicks, etc. Have a great weekend!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...