Tuesday, April 13, 2010

"springtime in her soul"


I'm one whose heart still skips a beat (albeit a small beat these days) when I walk to the mailbox. Still, in spite of email and our several other ways of online communication, a rare note arrives in the mail. Often it's a thank you note (and how wonderful people still find a notecard and stamp and ink to express thankfulness for a gift), and if not that, more often than not, it's a note from a dear friend who lives only a few miles from me. Getting a note from her is as refreshing as a cool breeze on a warm summer day. I always want to settle down with a cup of tea before I pause for a minute and then open the envelope, always delighted with what's inside. She was one of the friends who came in for tea last week.

 Knowing her as I do, I was not surprised she followed up that impromptu visit with a note. And there is never a note without a quote. How she finds such fitting ones is beyond me. This one (read above) from George MacDonald, continued at the bottom of her note with, "Before she left the cottage [yeah, I like to think of our house as a cottage], it was springtime in her soul; it had begun to put forth the buds of eternal life."

11 comments:

  1. It is a wonderful, wonderful book. It was CS Lewis' 4th favorite book.
    His copy is at the Wade Center at Wheaton. Need to find out his other favorites.

    And he wrote lots and lots of letters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I love this post. It is a fresh breeze to my soul! I am doing a post next week on note writing- actually, a series. I love to get and write notes! It is an art, a touch of hospitality... and a way of lettting people know that they are appreciated.
    Thanks for this fabulous post.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love Bonnie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read an article, several years ago, that within twenty years, one of the most highly collectible items would be hand-written letters. How sad! I love putting a pen (fountain) to fine stationery. I also love brewing a pot of tea and sitting down to read a letter from a dear one. I also like e-mails and blogging responses. However, I don't think they'll ever replace the envelop that my post person puts into my mailbox.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your friend sounds like a warm and lovely person. I feel the same way you do about finding something personal in my mailbox...a real treat!

    I have been meaning to come by for a visit and can't wait to come back when I have more time to read. You have some wonderful posts here!

    Hope you are having a great week! :-)

    xoxo
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh what a sweet note! You are so right. A written note is almost a thing of the past. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me again!!!

    Yes...the silver plate does have an initial, I think it is an 'R'. It's pretty ornate. Thanks for noticing and for coming by!!

    xoxo
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. such sweet sentiment...it's been awhile since I've read Macdonald...that little one playing the piano is just too cute!
    THANK YOU so much for your prayers over this last week...it means so much to me...the road is still difficult...such an opportunity to trust and receive grace.
    Rene'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous11:04 AM

    Such a lovely, sweet thing - a hand written note! I now save all my letters and cards - they are precious!
    Happy day to you and yours,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ms.P...

    You're absolutely right...there is just something special about a handwritten note! I must admit that I have not been very good at doing that since email has arrived on the scene. I love the quote that your dear friend wrote on your card!

    Okay, I took a peek at your post from a couple days ago...I think your yard is just as beautiful and that grass is so lush and green! Ours is finally starting to green up...yay! My friend, thank you for coming by for a visit! I enjoyed your note that you left on my springtime table. It's always a pleasure to hear from you, Darlin'!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I so enjoy George MacDonald.
    That little one at the piano is so darn cute!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...