Saturday, April 24, 2010

What's In A Pie?


Strawberry pie has a big history in our family. When it's strawberry season, the pie begs to be made, and usually is. At least once every spring. Going back about 30 years now.


Favorite recipes are like family heirlooms, in a way. I love it when I have a recipe from a friend or from my mother. Making the recipe brings them to mind. Sometimes I remember the meal we had at a friend's house when I asked for the recipe and then made it a favorite of my own.

I always think of Betty, an old friend from years ago, when I make this strawberry pie. The recipe is in her handwriting. But more than that, strawberry pie takes us right back to living in Ghana.

We had left our southern city and gone up to the "bush" to visit a good friend. While there we piled into the pickup truck and went across the border to Burkina Faso to shop. There the markets were plentiful (compared to practically empty stalls in Ghana, at that particular time). I always liked visiting the French-speaking countries that bordered Ghana...you could buy potatoes in them for one thing. Potatoes had become a rare treat for us. We could also buy apples...another thing we never could buy in Ghana. I remember coming up to a market stall that particular day and finding fresh strawberries! A wonder to the eye! We had to have some. So we bargained for them, put them in the cooler, and never thought about the trip back home across the border, over bumpy roads, and what damage might come to them.



We got back to our friend's house. No electricity. An outdoor shower and toilet. No other houses around for many kilometers. It was a "Little House on the Prairie" experience for us. On the way back from our day in Burkina, we had talked excitedly about making this strawberry pie. Our bachelor host thought he had a package of strawberry jello.


Sure enough he did. It was in a sad state of affairs, rather old, brought from the states a few years before. When I opened the package it was no longer red, and rather a big lump. But we crushed it into granules, found some sugar, margarine, and old flour (the flavor was distorted by weevils, but we had learned to just going with the flow). I went to open the strawberries and was dismayed to find that the bumps on the road had turned them to mush. Never mind, it would work. And it did. Maybe not to the standard of taste we might expect today, but it was delicious to us and looked so beautiful.

When I saw strawberries at the grocery store this week it seemed the time to make one again. So at our Sunday dinner today, we will enjoy the pie ... and the memories.

Reposted from three years ago this month. And yes, we're having this pie again today!


Please visit Chari's Happy to Design for other Sunday reposts. She's having a great give-away!

18 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet post...literally and figuratively! I am really enjoying your stories, Podso and this is no exception. I am reminded of how we take things for granted sometimes. I was reading the pie recipe before the post and I was thinking I had everything to make it with except the jello. Then I read how you used the old package of jello and here I was with fresh strawberries and a store with every imaginable flavor of jello just 5 minutes away!

    Enjoy your pie tomorrow. We may be doing the same thing!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made strawberry pie, but with your recipe card in clear view (love that you photographed it!), I'll surely give it a try.

    Total yum-ness, for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my son's favorite. You're making me hungry!!
    My post photo was all done on the computer. thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks just awesome! what a nice story.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh YumMY girl...now I'm hungry ha ha!! Thanks honey for coming by and seeing me today...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Ms.P...

    My friend, what a sweet post! I didn't know that you lived in Ghana. Ohhh my, I really can't imagine! I do have some very good missionary friends who lived in the Amazons of Brazil for a number of years...recalling all the stories that they told me! Now I'm just curious as to why you were in Ghana...if you don't mind me asking. Anyway, I bet that strawberry pie was the best...what a joy!!! Thank you so much for sharing your friend's recipe with us...a real treat indeed!!!

    Dotsie, I just want to take the time to thank you for all of your love and support! I know that you've been a regular participant of Sunday Favorites for quite some time now! Thank you! I have enjoyed your delightful reposts time and time again!!! Thank you for your sweet visit and well wishes!!!

    Have a wonderful weekend, my friend and best wishes in winning the gift card giveaway!

    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pie looks yummy! We have had the most beautiful strawberries in our stores too. I just keep buying and washing...my family eats every scrap if they are ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love old recipes like that one, stained and edges frayed. Sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just pure sweetness and delight!~ I love the old, timeworn recipe card, the yummy strawberries and the strawberry pie recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think what's in a pie is a lot of hard work - - - - - and love.

    It TAKES a lot of love to do all that work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I, too, enjoy using those recipes handed down through friends and family. often on stained and tattered cards, that bring pleasant memories along with them. What an interesting life you've led. I'm sure you didn't have access to many supermarkets! Something we put on our grocery list as a matter of fact can be a rare find in foreign lands.

    I want to get a fork and dip into that strawberry pie!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Podso,
    This is my first visit to your blog. I love old handwritten recipes, too. Lovely blog. Please drop over and visit sometime.
    Best,
    Robin
    p.s. I became a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh your old handwritten recipe tugs at my heart; I have my Mom's recipe box, and the ones in her handwriting, or the writing of her friends or sisters, are most precious to me.

    How have I not become a follower of you already? What an oversight on my part! Love how you write, love your stories, love your blog!


    Thanks for visiting That Old House. I think you are right -- we DO have more "stuff" in the thrift shops up here, but I think it's because much of the NE is more of a throwaway society -- You would not believe what people get rid of!
    Have a lovely Sunday -- Cass

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delicious. The only pies that get made around here is if Bob makes them. LOL For some reason I've only had one day in my life that I was able to make a crust. Never before never since. Strange but true!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful repost. And your pie looks luscious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved the story. And love, love, love strawberry pie. Your story did remind me of all the things we take for granted, living in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a new follower and have enjoyed reading your story! And your strawberry pie recipe looks yummy! Thanks for sharing and have a blessed day!
    Juanita

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your blog! It is so creative. I love the pictures and your strawberry pie recipe! I am a missionary in Niger and bought strawberries in Burkina Faso in Feb. Was looking for a strawberry pie recipe and found yours! Can't wait to try it but it may have to wait until next year unless I can figure out how to use strawberry jam instead! :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...