Thursday, April 15, 2010

the same difference

"There's something I learned when I was homeless: Our limitation is God's opportunity. When you get all the way to the end of your rope and ain't nothing you can do, that's when God takes over. I remember one time I was hunkered down in the hobo jungle with some folks. We was talkin 'bout life, and this fella was talkin, said, 'People think they're in control, but they ain't. The truth is, that which must befall thee must befall thee. And that which must pass thee by must pass thee by.' You'd be surprised what you can learn talkin to homeless people. I learned to accept life for what it is." (p. 178-9)

When I first started reading Same Kind of Different As Me, I wasn't sure I would finish it, but slowly it drew me in, grabbed my heart, and held it fast. For one thing, the descriptions of the homeless shelter/street mission took me back to my youth and the times we would go sing at a Chicago street mission or help there in some other way. The bleak eyes in the faces of troubled men and women came back to me as I read the story.

So our book club met to talk about the book and the discussion was lively as we shared what we thought Denver's world view was, and what that meant to us personally. I think we were challenged to come out of our comfortable spaces and see how we also can make a difference.



This true story is about a unusual friendship between a homeless man and a wealthy art dealer. And it's a story about a woman who was determined to use her life to make a difference in others' lives. I had no idea the book would affect me so powerfully, but it did, and did so for others who sat around Lydia Grace's beautiful and gracious table.

The book ended with Denver, the homeless gentleman saying, "I used to spend a lot of time worrying that I was different from other people, even from other homeless folks.... But I found out everybody's different--the same kind of different as me. We're all just regular folks walkin' down the road God has set in front of us."

You can find more about this book by g*ogling the title, or by pasting .com after the title, in your browser.

8 comments:

  1. I loved and was challenged by that book, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review...and honestly it took me awhile to get into it as well. But I'll tell you this...I'll never look at homeless folks in the same way ever again.

    Great photos, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a powerful post! Wish I had time and access to a book club. Your pics of women sitting together, minds in deep thought, conversing looks so inviting and engaging. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lydia grace9:57 AM

    Really effective photos. What application did you use to make the four photos? I loved last night and thank you for all your sweet help..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful book. I just may suggest this for a future book club... but I'm sure I'll read it before.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the book review. I'm going to recommend it to my Muse group. We are going to be discussing "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" next. It's a book that I was reluctant to read but thoroughly enjoyed every word. As a nurse, I think you'd especially like the book. The HeLa cell is what's immortal about Henrietta. I knew in eight grade biology that I'd not be going to medical school but found the book to be an eye opener. It was originally recommended to me by my niece who is a surgeon. She promised that it would not be "dry and clinical" and it wasn't. An aside, Henrietta was born in Roanoke. If I've already mentioned this book to you, just chalk it up to a blogger who repeats herself.

    Have a good weekend.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too loved that book. I was never homeless but grew up very poor and identified with the homeless man in so many ways.
    A must read for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have made the book sound very intriquing- I might have to check it out!
    I love your pics and I think a book club would be fun.
    Thanks for your kind words- I really enjoyed our trip south.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...