Thursday, April 22, 2010

ground nut soup

Groundnut Stew or Soup is a favorite of our family from our days living in Ghana. It's called "soup" but really is a stew. It ends up as a soup for left overs. And the ground nuts are "peanuts" so watch out on the food allergies.

In the many times I've cooked this for others, I've never known one, young or old. to not like it. It's good for a crowd. It serves 8 well, but 6 if they are starving.


The bones of the recipe come from the Mennonite "More With Less Cookbook."  You can get the recipe from the book pictured here (if your eyes are good). If you want the original recipe, leave a comment and I'll send it to you!


Now,  here's how I make it:

In a large pot saute 2 large chopped onions in oil with garlic, 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1 Tb chili powder. Add red pepper as you desire to make it spicier. When onions are nearly cooked, add one 6 oz can of tomato paste, stir in, and then 6 cups of water (hot water makes it go faster).  Add 6-7  beef buillon cubes. (yes lots of sodium, but lots of water.)  Add about 4-5  already-cooked and cubed chicken breasts.

Simmer this while in a separate small pan cook 1/2-2/3 C peanut butter (smooth or chunky) in 2 Tb oil. When it begins to smooth out, count four minutes while you stir. Be sure to stir constantly as the PB will easily burn. In Ghana they told us this was an important step to avoid a "running stomach." Then slowly pour the PB mix into the simmering stewpot and continue to simmer for 20 minutes.

Serve over rice. This can be made with beef, but we always use chicken. It can also be done with dark and white chicken meat. And you can thicken the stew more it if you like. Tastes even better the second day!

Connecting to Foodie Friday! today.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! Does this sound great! So many different flavors melding at once. I'll take your word that it's good and give it a try!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an unusual dish (for our North American pallets anyway)! I'm sure it is delicious though. Maybe I'll give this a try; it's always good to find new ways to serve chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, the recipe please. It looks and sounds delicious. I love anything with peanuts in it. After all, I'm a child of the south.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks and sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, this looks very interesting! thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our family favorite! :) Also, your More With Less cookbook looks very well-loved and used like mine does! If I had to narrow down to one cookbook, that would be the one I'd keep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made a ground nut stew recently...delicious! http://inspired2cook.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you please e-mail it to me? My address is:
    bonnie353@sbcglobal.net

    I have an old soup recipe that is stained and well-used like yours. I'm going to post it soon along with a photo of the recipe. I hope someone might recognize the publication it came from since I can't remember where I clipped it from in the early 1980s.

    Stay dry!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...