Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sunday Dinner

Sunday dinner seems to be a dying tradition. Sort of old fashioned, but we like to keep traditions. There is something leisurely about having such a meal, especially with friends and family gathered together. And after a big meal at noon, don't we feel like a traditional "Sunday afternoon nap?" This past weekend we had eight around our table for Sunday dinner.

The best way to manage such a thing is to prepare as much ahead of time as possible. I set the table simply; that's just how I want it to be on such a day.

Fresh flowers from the garden are the best! So sweet, though small and simple.
The dessert is made the day before.

Sunday morning I get up early and prepare as much as I can. The salad plates are waiting.

The tomatoes and other salad fixings are washed.

The serving dishes await.

The chicken is ready for the oven.

The make-ahead whipped potatoes to be rewarmed.

Teapot and cups stand at attention.

I set the oven timer. That is where the faith comes in. While we are at church, will the oven go on and do it's baking? My heart always skips a beat when I come home after church and unlock the door. Will the kichen be warm and basking in delicious scents? The oven timer drama adds just a touch of intrigue!

The guests lingered. That's always a good sign. We enjoyed a wonderful time together.

Be sure to stop by Between Naps on the Porch for more tablescape views.

21 comments:

  1. I'm sure your guests enjoyed sitting around your table and enjoying good food and conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Sunday dinners are after church in a restaurant with one to 12 people from church (and my Mom).
    I do miss big family (friend) dinners. I am going to have to host one soon! I LOVE lOVE cooking for a crowd and watching everyone enjoying the food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our Sunday Dinners are with church family at a restaurant. They are fun but nothing like a big home cooked meal!
    Now I want to host a big dinner! I love watching everyone eat and enjoy a good meal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU are a sweet person to go to such trouble for your family. I love this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brings back so many great memories of Sunday dinner every Sunday! Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely! It's so warm and homey. I am sure your guests enjoyed themselves. Can I come next Sunday?

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Podso, I use the delay setting on my oven when we leave for church too, so I know EXACTLY how you feel when you sniff for the smell of dinner upon coming home! LOL
    Very pretty tablescape!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely meal to come home to after church. The table is so pretty and the dinner sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh pretty -- and there's nothing better than a wonderful Sunday dinner and gathering followed by a Sunday afternoon nap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a big family dinner around a pretty table. Good for you for making it happen.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl I so missed the after church dinners I had as a young woman..But this looks just wonderful my friend...May you have a great day...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Sunday dinners. There's always something comforting about them. I understand exactly what you mean about walking in the house hoping for that good smell! Thanks for sharing and happy TT to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're lucky we always have Sunday dinners out or home. Love the tradition and your table.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty! So nice to keep the traditional Sunday dinner going!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous11:16 PM

    How this reminds me of my grandmother's home and her Sunday dinners after church! Thanks for sharing. Sdowd

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sunday dinner is a dying tradition. We don't do it anymore because no family is here -- but we kept the tradition as long as our daughter was home -- a big dinner Sunday noon aafter church.

    Your table is lovely and so warm and inviting -- I could sit down and share Sunday dinner with you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! Sunday dinners are the best !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your dining room is such a cozy room! I love your antique salt and pepper shakers. The produce looks so fresh and pretty.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  19. How pretty and I like hearing how your meal preparations went. The food looked great. I know your fear about timers and leaving things cooking alone. I am even nervous with my crock pot! lol!!

    Your table looks wonderful and the flowers in the cup are perfect. It sounds like you have a lovely family that truly loves tradition, Podso!!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lydia grace8:58 AM

    What a wonderful Sabbath rest application..to sit together over a meal which has been lovingly planned and prepared...Having the table already set says to your guests: "You were expected and prepared for and so very welcomed into our home this Sabbath day." I love sitting at your table..

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful tradition for your family and friends! It is a dying art...

    With the crazy schedule our family has, we strive to have Sunday supper as often as possible. This gives us the time to relax after church..even get in a little nap, and for those who have to work (great sadness), the chance to end their day with a warm meal with family and friends.
    Jane (Artfully Graced)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...