Thursday, September 24, 2009

fence dreams

Sometimes during those rare moments when my brain slows down, I have dreams of how I wish life could be. Not that I'm not content, but just those---"allow myself to slip over the grass to the other side of the fence" moments. I'm sure that for many of these dreams, once they would actually take place I'd say, "What was so great about this?"

Sometimes I wish that:
*I could read the paper over coffee in the mornings, sun streaming in the windows.
*I could watch TV morning news shows (probably one day of this would suffice).
*I had a green thumb so I could produce a beautiful garden and flowers that flourished.
*I had a mind that could comprehend better, and an ear that listened well.
*I lived on a block in a neighborhood where I could walk to the center of town. This obviously comes from my "Leave it to B*eaver" childhood where life was just like that.
*I didn't have so much dizziness in life with working two jobs, endless projects, care for people, obligations, etc. so that I had plenty of time to leisurely plan well and to leisurely care for others well.
*I could settle down to read more books.
*I could actually plan out a week of menus.
*I could take an afternoon nap next to an open window, curtains blowing in a gentle, warm breeze.
*Little One lived in our town so we could pour ourselves into her life.

BUT, our neighbors have a fence between our yard and theirs, and when I look over, I see that the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence. It's a good illustration and a good reminder to me.

3 comments:

  1. Very well put. Enjoy the hectic crazy life you have...my Mom always tells me she wished for quiet and time and now that she is 70 she has to much time and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, I wish too.
    Our yearnings for heaven I suppose.
    We do have so much of what we want already and I know you know that.
    Who are those pencil sketches of?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cool house and it looks great with the background. Isn't it the neatest thing to find these new blog designers? Our kids say to me, "But, Mom, you just changed it!"

    You understand the need, don't you?!??! :) Good thing, or I'd be alone!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...