Friday, September 18, 2009

Simply Spectacular Chocolate Cake

This simple chocolate cake recipe has a touch of cinnamon taste to it. I found it in the newspaper, having been submitted by a young girl. I make it often in a 9 x 13. I've also made this in other kind of pans. It's flexible -- it's my favorite! It is so moist that people exclaim every time I serve it!

Chocolate Applesauce Cake (makes 12 servings)
2 1/2 C flour
1/2 C baking cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks margarine or butter (3/4 cup) at room temperature
2 C sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 C applesauce
1 C buttermilk (or plain yogurt, or regular milk with a tsp of lemon juice or vinegar)
1/3 C boiling water

Heat oven to 350. Grease baking pan
Mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
In larger bowl mix sugar and butter, add eggs one at a time, applesauce and vanilla. Beat well. Add 1/3 of dry mix, and 1/3 of milk and continue to all added. Mix well and add 1/3 cup boiling water. And beat again. Batter will be thick. Pour into pan and bake for 40-45 minutes. Cool before serving or adding powdered sugar on top.

This is a good cake to make ahead and it stays good for days. It is also so simple to serve. After it cools, or just after slicing, sprinkle with some powdered sugar for a pretty effect. Try a lace doilie for a design. Or a simple heart (but the cake must be cool and just to be served for the design to stay fresh). And what is it about chocolate cake? Always good with vanilla ice cream or a glass of milk, but this one does not need icing! For more yummy things to eat, see Foodie Fridays.

10 comments:

  1. I love a good chocolate cake, and this one looks delicious. I'd love this with a cup of tea in the afternoon. The idea of using a lace doile to make a powdered sugar pattern is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the name of your blog :). I'm a huge fan of chocolate and cinnamon together. This cake sounds like it's nice and moist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - that's the most adorable milk pitcher ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a delicious cake and I'm sure it stays moist for days with the applesauce added to the batter. I also love the use of buttermilk with chocolate. Moist, tangy and chocolate makes for a combination that is hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course chocolate cake is always a winner; however, I love, love, love that cute little ceramic creamer that looks like a carton.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet cake!
    You can't miss with chocolate.

    I have stencils that you can use too, to make a design in powdered sugar on a cake -- they are for different holidays and occasions.

    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  7. delicious! I bet this is really moist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just saw cute stencils at Macy's that Marta Stewart makes for the Fall and some are tiny for Halloween cupcakes and would be so cute on your delicious chocolate cake. I like the idea of using applesauce in the recipe too.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea with the stencil and the addition of the applesauce to the cake. I bet this is really moist and delicious. I would love for you to join me at Crock Pot Wednesday whenever you can.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Next time I have to make a dessert I'm going to try this recipe. I am having a welcome fall party on Tuesday to celebrete the first day of fall and I'd love it if you joined in. You can read about it on my blog.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...