Saturday, September 12, 2009

How to Cut an Orange


"Do it lovingly--in perfect quarters like little boats, or in staggered exfoliations like a flat map of a round world, or in one long spiral, as my grandfather used to do. Nothing is more likely to become garbage than an orange rind; but for as long as anyone looks at it in delight, it stands a million triumphant miles from the trash heap.

"That, you know, is why the world exists at all. It remains outside the cosmic garbage can of nothingness, not because it is such a solemn necessity that nobody can get rid of it, but because it is the orange peel hung on God's shoulders like a chandelier, the wishbone in His kitchen closet. He likes it; therefore it stays."

--from Robert Farrar Capon in The Supper of the Lamb, our next book club read. I've barely begun it, and already am collecting quotes from it. This will be fun!

This was first published Feb. 2008, and is probably the post from my blog most accessed via internet search. I guess a lot of people want to know how to cut an orange! The book was great fun, by the way.

For more Sunday favorites see Happy to Design.

4 comments:

  1. What a fun post! (Not to mention, that orange looks so good! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the post...often it is the little things no one ever teaches because you think everyone knows how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Ms.P...

    So happy to see you today for Sunday Favorites! My friend, after seeing your pretty photo of the orange slices I've found that I've been cutting my oranges...all wrong...all this time! Sheeeshhh! Hehe! Loved your excerpt fomr Robert Farrar Capon...I agree, oranges are divine...truly one of God's sweet creations for us to enjoy! I do believe that orange is one of my favorite scents...all of my cleaning supplies are orange scented...smells so fresh to me!!!

    Well Darlin'...thanks for participating with SF this week...enjoyed your post! Have a super Sunday...

    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:55 PM

    It makes me want to go and eat an orange...it looks so juicy:) BLS

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...