Wednesday, January 28, 2009

nothing in my hand


"When I have nothing in my hand 
Wherewith to serve my King,
When thy commandment finds me weak
And wanting everything,
My soul, upon thy greatness cast,
Shall rise divinely free;
Then will I serve with what Thou hast,
And gird myself with Thee."
                             -Anna Waring

It's amazing the ways God chooses to speak to us. I have an old devotional book I read (Joy and Strength) that often has a nugget that pops out and knocks on my mind and heart. This little poem, for today's date, I have marked with the words, "Romania, 2000." I can visualize the day nine years ago as I sat reading this with the sun streaming in the window. I had to make a decision about leading a team of teenage girls to work in orphanages in Romania. I didn't feel like I had what I needed to handle such an assignment.  God used this simple poem to help me realize I needed to take my weaknesses and turn them into a larger trust in Him. And so I did, and so I went, and so it all worked out amazingly well. God helped me to have good friendships with the girls, to love the orphans (who could not?) and to safely get our little group from one country to another via a terrifying ride with a clueless driver ... but that's a story for another day. For sure, He gives us what we need for the tasks He asks us to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...