Friday, January 23, 2009

A Full Cap

Each morning I ask God to "ordain" my day. Bring into it what He wants and to use me, always. Today I took my mother to an early morning eye doc appointment.  As we entered our third hour there I began to get restless, thinking about all I had planned "to do" at home today. Cleaning and other projects (I, being a "Type A" always plan way too much, and thrive on "missions accomplished.") 

I caught myself. Wasn't this God's plan for the day? Am I not supposed to live the moment as it comes to me, not wishing it away for something I think might be better. I began to be thankful that I could be there, helping my mother. Just being. Nearly four hours after arriving (and a few tests later) we left and headed for the grocery store. After dropping mom off, unpacking her groceries, and checking on things there, I headed to the grocery store for myself. With my head and heart straight for a change, and feeling rather peaceful.

And I did get a full baby cap crocheted while I sat at the doctor's. "Type A" pleasure!

Photo: My sweet mom is with her three girls in the photo at the top of this photo. You can probably figure out which one I am.

3 comments:

  1. I love to come her and read your posts. Knowing how to crochet and knit certainly has its soothing effect, doesn't it.

    Not too long ago, I read a book review about a book called, Comfort, by Ann Hood. She writes about her vibrant five-year-old who contracts meningitis and dies in two days time. You can imagine the grief...someone told her to join a knitting club. She was able to work through a lot of her grief as she knit.

    She then wrote a novel loosely based on her experiences. It was an interesting read.

    And, yes, I know which one you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do so get this post. After having to sleep in a bit since I woke up 'exhausted' this morning, was having a late cup of tea and sitting in the living room talking with the boys (4 of 'em). The guilty part of me was telling me that we should've been doing schoolwork. But that Still Small Voice said quietly to me that I just needed to enjoy my boys. A deep breath taken, and I followed that advice. :)

    Hope the rest of your day is soothing to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the challenge of life, isn't it? We do so want to be *busy* for the Lord but want it to be our busyness...I'm soo glad you relaxed and went with what God had for you that day. Cute hat, BTW! My daughters have taken up knitting...
    Rene'

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...