Sunday, January 11, 2009

Needles and Threads



Old friends are like old shoes. I think the longer the friendship, the more comfortable you are with each other. I still remember the night I met my friend Susan, probably 22 years ago. We were at a church supper and sat by each other. We both had big hair and small kids, and hit it off right away. We ended up seeing a lot of each other as we home schooled our children, and shared in activities. I helped her come along in her new faith in Christ, but that seems like very little compared to the many blessings she has brought to my life.
Just one example is her gifts of quilts.  Susan is an extraordinary quilter and she has made several for me--from a tiny broach and a bookmark, to a book cover, a wonderful, frequently-coveted-by-others tote for my mother's walker, a gorgeous quilt for my granddaughter, and, my pride and joy--the teapot quilt seen on the sidebar.


 
Personally, I can't imagine making a quilt. Having patience, the eye for it, or the skill. Susan has it all, and shares her gift with others so creatively.
 
So I was thrilled to visit an art gallery in a neighboring town the other day to see some of her quilts on display. They were preparing things for the big opening reception, but even though they weren't yet tagged, I could pick out a few that "looked like" my friend.  And I was right. Congratulations, Susan, and, by the way, happy birthday today!

4 comments:

  1. I admire those who have the patience, the dexterity, the eye for making beautiful quilts.

    The top photo is truly a work of art. I love the colors and how they flow together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:08 PM

    Wow, I am honored, Friend. Thank you.
    BTW your gift of discipleship far outweighs anything I could ever give you! L.S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous quilts!
    Happy Belated Birthday Susan!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilts and beautiful friendship!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...