Wednesday, September 02, 2009

where's julia?



Seems we're all talking about Julia C. these days, and when it was time to celebrate Barbarino's birthday we decided to do it up right. Notice the vintage tablecloth!

We've had a beautiful hint of fall weather here in the south, so it was a perfect late summer evening on the porch.

We all got involved in the meal, with the main course being chicken in a French sauce. Parsley fingerling roasted potatoes, butterfly pesto rolls, salad, a gourmet vegetable blend of brussel sprouts and raisins ... and to start with a cold roasted corn chowder out of V*ctoria Mag's summer issue. Notice we added pearls on the table in honor of our favorite old-time French chef, who always wore them.

I like to use these cute glass rooster egg cups for more than eggs, so after some thinking, figured out a way to use them for place cards. (I stuck Styrofoam packing curls down inside to anchor a toothpick holding the photo.) I also like using photos for name cards and made these polor*id looking images online.

I tried to use lots of things that have been given to me over the years by friends, particularly those at the table tonight. Everything you see here is either gifted or thrifted!
















If the table's a bit crowded, I do enjoy acting the Scandinavian hostess part and sitting elsewhere (adjacent) and just serving my guests. I think I enjoy it more that way. I can still join in the conversation, and certainly sit down with them for dessert and coffee.

For more tablescapes, see Between Naps on the Porch.

18 comments:

  1. Very lovely - I adore the colors -- and I've never heard about the Scandinavian hostess - how interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pink and blue. Lots of fun!
    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the vintage table cloth. Your table is so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty table, love the colors... I am having a give away please do try to stop by
    xoxo
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your table. May I join you? It is just so pretty!

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, with learning too! A pleasant trip to your great blog for sure! I hope you can stop by and enter your name in the giveaway at Color Outside the Lines. I know you could do some fantastic things with the loot! :) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness. This is just wonderful...the table settings make my mouth water. :) AND, your header photo and background are the perfect accent.

    You *are* good. And I just love all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lydia grace8:28 AM

    Oh,my, how very beautiful...so sorry to have missed such a delightful evening..You certainly have a gift, friend..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy, fun and sweet are the perfect words to describe your table. It made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Ms. P...

    What a lovely table, my friend!!! Love the pearls and Julia theme! Love your beautiful vintage tablecloth...it was perfect with your place settings! Speaking of which...I love, love, LOVE your pretty plates!!! Love that sweet blue cross-hatched plate...ohhh, and I love that you used the pretty pink plates with the blue! It really is a stunning combination!!! I think your place cards were genius...such a great idea! Thanks for sharing your beautiful table with us today!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am in the South and am enjoying having my windows open today!! Love the colors pinks and blues--pretty. Nice tablecloth and love the use of those eggcups. Beautiful all and all...loved the movie by the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, how pretty! She did always wear pearls, didnt she? I'd forgotten that. I haven't seen the movie yet, but it sounds wonderful. Your tablecloth is so sweet. And so is your whole tablescape. Very precious elements here!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have set such a pretty table and I love the tablecloth too. I would like to see that movie-I love Meryl Streep.
    I have never heard of the Scandinavian hostess tradition before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bon Appetit! Delicious and once we got used to talking to you behind us, we had fun! Thank you for hosting and giving us each a special eve!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello again...just lil' ol' me!

    My friend, I just read your comment and had to come and look at your flatware...you are absolutely right...they are the same as mine!!! So they are Oneida then...do you happen to know the pattern name? Thank you so much for pointing that out to me...soooo awesome!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the blue/pink colour combo on your table. Great idea to use photos instead of names on placecards. I also like your idea to sit adjacent to your guest table as often I am jumping up and down anyway to serve the courses and feel I am being disruptive in doing so.

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your table looks so pretty! I'm sure your guests must have enjoyed all the beauty as well as the food. I love the fun of using all thrifted or gifted things too. Much more fun that buying new stuff!
    Hope you have agod Labor day weekend.
    ((hugs)) Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wandered over here from Bonnie's blog...what a pretty table you set. I love the pink and blue combination, and you are so clever with the place cards. It's lovely to see Bonnie's face too!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...