Wednesday, March 16, 2011

wearing green


I have a hunch not too many people view St. Patrick's Day as a religious holiday. But it actually is. It's all about Patrick going from England to Ireland to share the news of Christianity to a country steeped in polytheism. (The Gardener, a church historian, loves to call this the "missionary holiday.") St. Patrick went there first as a captured slave at the age of 16. After returning to his homeland, he felt called of God to return to Ireland to preach and teach the gospel. He remained there 30 years, until he died on March 17, 461. Even though others came to Ireland bent on proclaiming the Christian faith, St. Patrick seems to be the most beloved in history. Seems now St. Patrick's day is more a celebration of Ireland and it's culture, though it remains a religious holiday in Ireland.

Folklore says that Patrick used a shamrock to explain the Trinity to the Irish. That's why we see shamrocks and so much green on March 17th!

not my photo

7 comments:

  1. You are so right. I very seldome hear the religious side to this holiday.
    Thanks!
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for giving the history of St. Patrick's Day. I did not know this and am glad to have learned something this morning! Have a great St. Patrick's Day, Dotsie! Blessings ~ Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know this, or I don't remember it. Surely I've heard it before. Nevertheless, I'm glad it's a Christian holiday. We like to celebrate around here. I made green sprinkle cupcakes and we're all wearing green!
    Happy St. Pat's Day!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote my Church History 1 paper on him last semester. It's amazing that all many seem to know of this day is green beer, when he felt so called to tell others how to be filled with the Spirit rather than drunk with wine...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like so many other holidays St. Patrick's sadly has been secularized to be more about fluff than substance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. People forget the details! We were celebrating Italy's birthday on the same day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...