Thursday, March 24, 2011

laughing at myself

I sort of need a spring jacket ... although that's always debatable here in the sunny south for two reasons: 1- will you wear it enough to justify the money spent, and 2-there are no coat racks in the south ... meaning any jacket you wear, and may want to take off, is with you constantly. It's especially debatable this year since it seems summer has come quickly after a very cold winter.

But anyway, I was in one of our favorite stores recently and noticed a prominant rack of spring jackets. They "had my name written on them." I'm a "no frills"sort of dresser and love the safari, khaki look. I noticed several other racks of that kind of jacket. "Must be 'in,'" I thought to myself (I'm generally clueless about fashion.) So I grabbed up a couple and went to the dressing room to have a look. And I loved them! Suddenly the coat really came into focus. It was an almost exact replica of a jacket I had 30 years ago! And probably wore for 20 years, I loved it so much. Once on our way home from Africa, we stopped for a few days in Holland. Even though it was summer, temperatures felt cool to my Africa-warmed skin and I had to buy a jacket. I was amazed how fashion had changed in the time we had been away and the baggy/safari look was in (the 80s) ... and the jacket I found to purchase was "me."

I never could part with it. When I finally gave in to the fact that it was terribly out of style, I wrapped it in tissue paper and stored it in the attic. I guess there's only so many fashion styles possible, and they do return. For once saving something has paid off. The jackets went back on the rack and I'm up in the attic today to get my (better made, by the way) jacket.

not my photo nor my jacket but I like it

14 comments:

  1. Even up here in the north I don't "use" a spring jacket - - - I BARELY use a winter one.

    If I know I'm going from building to car to building I just "scoot" with no jacket.

    However - - - lately I've wondered if I would use a spring jacket.

    My problem with winter jackets is they are too bulky. Maybe I'd enjoy a lightweight jacket more????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think having your own style is very stylish. And I really like this jacket...I know, not yours. You are really on top of it. I never would have thought to save a jacket but yours had a lot of sentimental value as well.

    BTW, I like your new blog header!

    Stay warm!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your jacket is probably very much in style, especially after having saved it for 30 years! Wow. You are almost vintage! lol I've been wearing a light jacket too, especially at night.
    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love that. What a fun surprise to remember something you put away and can now enjoy again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How true the saying - "If you save it long enough it will come back in style". I noticed that cargo pants are 'big' this year too :-) I'm glad you saved your much nicer jacket. They just don't make things like they used to. (another good saying!) ;-) Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were smart to have saved a well loved jacket as like you say they always come back in style.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dotsie, you and I must be kindred spirits! LOL! My husband and kids give me a hard time for hanging on to my favorites! But, they always come back! Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm fascinated that you went to Africa! And Holland! How wonderful that must have been. Things do usually come back in style and its intersting when they do. Good for you, saving that favorite jacket. When my husband & I were dating ...the Navy style 'peacoats' were in style and I noticed they were on the racks last fall. I did save mine for years...then, once upon a garage purging..gone for good. I don't have quite the same slim figure I did back when I wore my peacoat though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:05 PM

    This is great! When it comes to fashion, I like practical, easy-care clothes. So fun that your jacket is back in style! :)
    ~ Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was cute. Aren't you glad you saved that jacket!?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Podso,
    When shopping for a new home, we found several from the 50's with cedar lined closets. I have a terrible allergy to cedar and inquired about the closets. For storing clothing free from moths for longevity. Thus your attic makes perfect sense! My mother told me to buy wisely when a newly wed, fashion will come around again. Those sheath dresses showing for Spring are the ones we made in Home Ec. Problem is. .. my size didn't stay the same. HA! Enjoy opening your "new" jacket and getting some use from it again.
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely tale and I often think I should have kept things from my wardrobe from years ago, but mainly favourite things have to go because they wear out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That made me laugh! I will be looking to see you wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great story, and you have me wishing I had saved a few items from my oh so long ago wardrobe too!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...