Wednesday, March 09, 2011

wear my rose


     I've never had a single doubt about my parents' deep love for each other. Until the end of his life, Dad treated my mother like a queen. Now that I am reading through some of the old letters (no I haven't ventured much into their ribbon-wrapped love letters) I can see again how sweet their romance was. Mom once told me the story of their engagement. They became sweethearts while attending the same college. When it came time to "pop the question," Dad did so but requested that my mother wait a week to think and pray about her answer. My guess is she was ready to say "yes" right then, but she waited, and she said it seemed like the week lasted forever. Towards the end of that week Dad sent her some roses with a note that said, "Wear my rose to the dining hall tonight if your answer is yes." With stars in her eyes, she pinned the rose on to her blouse. I wonder if they had much of an appetite for dinner that night in the excitement of the promise of a life together.
     Later that night, as the custom still is at that college when a couple gets engaged, they climbed the tower stairs and rang the bell, proclaiming their news to the whole campus.

17 comments:

  1. Dotsie,

    What a beautiful story. My parents had a loving marriage as well. I am going through pictures and papers too and trying to put them in some order so that they can be remembered.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Podso, How romantic! What a touching story! It could be made into a romantic movie!
    Thank you so much for sharing.
    xo Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful story, makes me smile:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect beginning to your parents loving life together. I can picture your mother walking into that dining hall and your father's eye on the rose, her and their future life together.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. {sigh...} What a beautiful love story, Dostie! Starts my morning off with misty eyes and a full heart. Thank you. Blessings ~ Tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet and romantic story, Podso. Thanks for sharing it with us...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is just too romantic! You need to write a book! For back in the day, he was a real Romeo to think of the rose idea! So unique. I love it when a man can think outside of the box! What special parents you had.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a story. I love that, "wear my rose." So sweet and old-fashioned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Podso,
    This is why I blog! I'm leaving those stories for my son. Thank you for sharing this lovely story of your parents love for one another. It deeply touched my heart and soul today!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a romantic story.
    I love the bell ringing on campus.
    I love the rose.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow- I love that story. Very romantic in the truest sense.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing that wonderful story of love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was beautiful. An example of long married love is such a gift to a family. My parents will celebrate 60 years in May, and my father still calls my mum his "Bright Eyes". I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful memory of true love! You must treasure these letters and I'm sure you will keep them safe for your grandchildren as heirlooms of where they came from. It is so romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is the sweetest thing I've ever heard..what a blessing you have...
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a precious story. Thank you for sharing it...

    Gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...